General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle beach fall rally

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008 | 09:58 PM
EVO80
Road Captain

It appears MB is keeping it word - it set up check points yesterday and today, issued citations and impounded vehicle. I am assuming they are all motorcycles as the article below is regarding the rally.

From: htp://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/135/story/618532.html

News - Breaking News

Saturday, Oct. 04, 2008

MB police checkpoint nets 70 citations, 7 arrests

Myrtle Beach police issued 70 citations Friday night during a traffic safety checkpoint on 21st Avenue North, according to a news release.

Police checked 935 vehicles during the event and arrested seven people and towed seven vehicles, Sgt. John Bertang said in the release.

Here is a breakdown of the citations issued by officers during the checkpoint.

16 driver's license violations

21 vehicle license violations

3 equipment violations

one driving under the influence

one illegal alcohol case

3 illegal drug cases involving marijuana

2 other moving violations

16 no proof of insurance violations

Other citations that were issued included one wanted person being located; a gun seizure; two paraphernalia violations and a taxi ordinance violation.

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:24 AM
rockhard69
Road Captain

Been there several times, but never again, the city doesn't want us so I will spend my money somewhere else, they can kiss my a--

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:29 AM
jeffl0924
Road Master

Yea, but they have always set up those checkpoints randomly in MB during the bike weeks...None of those citations are for anything that was recently passed, and the majority of what is listed there, would be violations anywhere. They know they are going to find that stupid **** listed there, its easy money for them. Why would you ride without your endorsement, or knowing your license is expired...like I said Easy pickins...

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:36 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by EVO80
It appears MB is keeping it word - it set up check points yesterday and today, issued citations and impounded vehicle. I am assuming they are all motorcycles as the article below is regarding the rally.

From: htp://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/135/story/618532.html

News - Breaking News

Saturday, Oct. 04, 2008

MB police checkpoint nets 70 citations, 7 arrests

Myrtle Beach police issued 70 citations Friday night during a traffic safety checkpoint on 21st Avenue North, according to a news release.

Police checked 935 vehicles during the event and arrested seven people and towed seven vehicles, Sgt. John Bertang said in the release.

Here is a breakdown of the citations issued by officers during the checkpoint.

16 driver's license violations

21 vehicle license violations

3 equipment violations

one driving under the influence

one illegal alcohol case

3 illegal drug cases involving marijuana

2 other moving violations

16 no proof of insurance violations

Other citations that were issued included one wanted person being located; a gun seizure; two paraphernalia violations and a taxi ordinance violation.
You gotta be sh**in' me With all the advanced warnings, all the frickin' publicity, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum how is it possible that some f'n idiots show up with outstanding warrents, packin', no proof of insurance, invalid drivers licence, etc. I'll stop here before I have to run in and take another ace inhibitor
I would of steered clear of MB out of principal myself but by chr*st if I had to stick my hand in fire I'd a had the frickin' sense to make sure I had a glove on it
Guy's, if the shoe fits wear it, I really worry sometimes why we waste the time posting warnings on this forum - I still love that sig that states 'stupid should hurt.'

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:54 AM
grape ape
Tourer

[QUOTE=... plus we all know what this is all about.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to BBW? My sis lives just north of Myrtle Beach and she tells me that BBW is the reason that bikers in general are being shunned. They can't stop one bike week without stopping them all. Apparently Memorial Day weekend, the traditional summer kick off weekend, is being ruined because many people, especially families, don't want to go there with BBW going on. Don't flame me please. This is just the info that I have heard from someone who lives there. Correct? Incorrect? More to the story?

Old 10-05-2008 | 10:46 AM
palmettosunshine
Cruiser

Grape Ape, you are 100% correct. They can't ban one event without banning them all so that's what they did. The city was losing too much money during Memorial Day because, just like you said, families are avoiding MB because of the bike rally that takes place during that time. The city council hopes to really boost revenues from families that would come here if there was no bike event to scare them away.

Old 10-05-2008 | 10:53 AM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master

+1 to most of the sentiment here - if they don't want my money, screw, I'll go elsewhere. Me and some riding buddies have been going to the Spring Rally every year for 5+ years now. Next year ('09) we're going to the Laughlin River Run in NV instead.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:05 AM
jhoyda
Advanced

I am leaving Myrtle Beach right now, I had fun, didn't spend any money in the city limits and will probably go back.

There are a bunch of articles in the paper about the new rules and bike week.

Dana Giarla, the burnout "manager" at SBB said it best:

"I totally disagree with what Myrtle Beach is doing and I want them to call a spade a spade. What they are really concerned about is the black bike week."

I think you can't hit the nail on the head any harder than that! I'm glad they actually put that in the paper. They even had a picture of him.

Old 10-05-2008 | 03:33 PM
grape ape
Tourer

Seems like a lot people are dancing around the issue to be politically correct. Screw that. If BBW is what's at the root of the problems and negativity, I'm glad to hear someone had the guts to come right out and say so.

Last edited by grape ape; 10-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2008 | 03:52 PM
drummerart
Advanced

They are afraid of the Reverens coming to town to sue them if they shut down just BBW. Judges have been on their side way too many times.

Quick Reply: Myrtle beach fall rally