General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting a harley - insurance issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
bigdeek
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Renting a harley - insurance issue

Howdy all.
I had a buddy just rent a street glide for a little 4 day trip we are all taking. I was amazed to find that the harley shop only offered liability and didn't offer collision/theft. So, basically if he wrecks it, he's paying for it out of his pocket.

He called Geico, progressive, and a bunch of other insurance companies and they also told him to pound sand.

I'm suprised Harley does that. Why on earth would anyone ever rent a bike - I now know I sure as hek won't. Well, he did anyway, but I sure bet he's going to be nervous for the next 4 days on the road with us.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance

Does your friend own a bike? I thought it was similiar to when you rent a car.....your insurance covers you?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,516 Likes on 8,456 Posts

Because it's one he!! of a liability! And it would probley cost the rider a wagon
load of $ to get full coverage. Therefor the price to rent a bike would be out
of reach. Know what I'm trying to say?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not sound right to me. More info, an you will get some responce. Your Ins. will not cover that bike. only your hide. l.ray

Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
bigdeek
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, forgot to mention that he currently doesn't own a bike and so he doesn't have existing bike insurance. So, if you don't currently own a bike and have existing bike insurance, you cannot get a short window rider. I'm just suprised that the dealer doesn't have a blanket collision policy that would simply extend to whomever was renting the bike. They do, but it's just for liability. Why not cover for collision as well? Oh well, JW1200 is right on. I was just really suprised at the situation... Go figure.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've rented a bike a few times and I've always been able to get the max insurance. I wouldn't rent a bike if I weren't able to get full insurance.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,600 Likes on 5,095 Posts
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

There is NO WAY that I would rent a bike in a situation like that. No way in HELL-O!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something ain't right with this picture...now way should your buddy be riding a rental without loss and damage insurance, and no way should a rental company let a bike out the door without some sort of loss insurance besides their own. Somebody doesn't undertand something, either your buddy or the person who rented him the bike. I just rented a Softail from a Harley dealer in Harrisburg, PA and I bought the insurance that limited my liability to $2,000 no matter what happens to the bike. They didn't ask for proof of my own bike insurance, the insurance I bought was independent of that. Rental companies make money on the daily insurance charges, which is partly why they offer it. Besides, am I to understand that the rental company let your buddy ride out the door with no loss damage insurance on the bike at all, not even his own? Did they take a hefty credit card deposit at least? Sure, the rental company would be protected with their own insurance if your buddy rode off a cliff, but they would take a hit with their own rates if they had to keep going after people to collect uninsured losses.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if it was me, I would make sure and let someone hit me if they were forcing me to lay it down or something! That idea just suckkkkkkssssssssssssss.

I know when I rented a Ferrari and a bunch of other exotic cars in Hawaii, I found out my regular insurance wouldn't cover any vehicle worth over $50,000. Nor did my Platinum Citibank mastercard that said they cover rental insurance if you use the card to rent a vehicle with it. Had to read the super fine print to find that out too.
Of course I didn't find out until AFTER I had rented about 4 different vehicles!!! That would have sucked to find out the hard way.

Quick Reply: Renting a harley - insurance issue