General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Riding Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Riding Gear

I need some advice on jackets/coats for cold possibly riany riding. Are the leather jackets suitable for rain? I ride an Ultra so I'm somewhat shielded from most wind, but I'm wondering if a good leather jacket would work for both situations.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well up here in New Hampster I throw on some long johns (walmart) jeans and chaps with thinsulate work boots for the lower half, t shirt, long sleeve chamios shirt, pullover fleece, no hood as it bunches up, lined leather bandana(for the face and keeps the wind out of chest), leather jacket, warm knit hat, and my gloves(unlined deerskin), turn up the grip heaters and that is how I ride to work(1 hour interstate each way). no problem down to 40 degrees then below that i need a warmer hat and warmer gloves but that about does it.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:05 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Leather is an insulator.... it'll keep the wind off you,Rain? any good leather, with proper treatment will be fine.
I'm a weather wuss, I bought heated gear, and I'm GLAD I did...I've spent way more money over the years on gloves, insulated clothing,thermoguard one piece riding suit.... heck, I could have bought a gerbing heated jacket, pants, and gloves, with controller... and still come out ahead.... I guess, I'm one of those "have to learn the hard way" types

Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman
...Are the leather jackets suitable for rain?...
One must be very careful with leathers and rain...leather generally does not do well once wet. Drying leather becomes difficult and can easily damage the material.

FWIW, Aerostich now has the "Transit" jacket (and pants). They're Gore-Tex lined and the leather is tanned with a "permanent water repellent."

The jacket alone is $797.00 with pants another $697.00. I can only guess at what it would cost to have either repaired in case of a spill.

Personally, I opted for a fabric jacket/pants that's waterproof, windproof, and lined.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
GGC
Road Warrior

FXRG does it all!!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
One must be very careful with leathers and rain...leather generally does not do well once wet. Drying leather becomes difficult and can easily damage the material.

FWIW, Aerostich now has the "Transit" jacket (and pants). They're Gore-Tex lined and the leather is tanned with a "permanent water repellent."

The jacket alone is $797.00 with pants another $697.00. I can only guess at what it would cost to have either repaired in case of a spill.

Personally, I opted for a fabric jacket/pants that's waterproof, windproof, and lined.

Good luck!
People have been wearing treated leather for years in the rain. Do you think we ran for cover when it started raining and someone was caught on a horse and their saddle got wet? Or the leather seats?

Leather is fine - just treat it well and don't let it mold.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so here is my bit about it, spend the money and buy a decent set of rain gear. Jacket, pants and gaters. You will stay dry and warm and with the reflective material on them you will be seen by those in cages. Leather will keep you dry for a while but will eventually soak through. It may not hurt it, but you still need to let it dry. And if you are traveling you might not have the time. Driving in the rain happens and cannot be avoided unless you stay home, i would rather ride.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I will have to get the heated vest and gloves

Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
JIMROOKIE
Cruiser

I use layers in cold t-shirt, turtle kneck, leather Jacket, 2 layers of anti wick socks
chaps below 45 and my rain suit fits over the leather in cold weather
I just use the rain lowers in place of the chaps in wet weather and they are very warm.the rain suit is just a $100.00 set from Harley and they have lasted years
you should also get some rain gloves
they do have bootlets too but I would rather my shoes go squish squish squish
than have someone think I was some sort of geek with dry feet
the nice thing about a bagger is its always on the bike.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser

While we're on it, check the labels and buy American. Everthing in my local dealer was china, pakistan, and mexico.

Quick Reply: Cold Riding Gear