General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service Is it worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM
wayner000
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service Is it worth it ?

just coming up to my 1000 mile service and i was wondering what they do for the 300 dollars it cost for it? if its just an oil change sh...t could do that myself. also will It void the warranty if i dont?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The 1000 mile service is probably one of the more important ones you can do! Definately not something to try to blow off! You don't have to have the dealer do it, you can take it to an indy for about 1/2 the dealer price, or really save on the money, buy the service manual, and do it yourself!

I don't remember all the items they check (out of town, no manual here!), but they change the oil, adjust the primary chain, check/fill the rest of the fluids (not sure if they do the fork oil or not at 1k).

Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever else they do, that first oil change is very important. They did my 1000 and my 5000. After they do the 10,000, I'm breaking out the Snap-Ons and the manual!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
wayner000
1st Gear

im just making sure it isnt just a 300 dollar oil change. cause thats just crazy!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

theyb check so many things so that you won't have trouble with your ride. They adjust belts, chains, clutch, throttle, steering neck, charging system and much more. They change all the fluids (except brake) Check your brake adjustments, and more.

Have it done by either a dealer or an Indy if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. If you feel confident, GET THE MANUAL FIRST and follow it to the letter.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wayner000
im just making sure it isnt just a 300 dollar oil change. cause thats just crazy!!!!
The problem is how would you know unless you watched them do the service. I let the dealer do my 1000 mile service and it cost me $332 and I know they didn't do everything because when I did the 5000 myself I found out that they didn't grease the neck bearings like it said to do in the service manual at the 1000. I wonder what else they skipped, who knows. I do know they changed the tranny oil since I provided them with Redline Shock Proof Heavy and it looked like Pepto Bismol when I checked it. So maybe the only thing they didn't do was the neck bearings but I doubt it.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,404 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Smell with the stealer, read they won't work on evo's but that's ok.
I wouldn't let them anyway!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
geeded
Cruiser

If you care about your warranty and your bike, have them do it. Watch them if possible. Make a nuisance of yourself so they will do ALL they're supposed to do.

Cheers, geeded

Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The harley dealership has special techniques, along with secret oils and a Shaman directly from Milwaukee who changes your oil and has special mojo you pay extra for. Don't do it yourself.

Ok, not really. Don't miss it, but you can totally do it yourself if you're have at least one good hand that can work a wrench and pour oil. IMO, id rather do it myself. I like to know whats going on with my bike, and noone gives a sh*t more than me when It comes to my bike. If you're that way too,

Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Zip
The harley dealership has special techniques, along with secret oils and a Shaman directly from Milwaukee who changes your oil and has special mojo you pay extra for. Don't do it yourself.

Ok, not really. Don't miss it, but you can totally do it yourself if you're have at least one good hand that can work a wrench and pour oil. IMO, id rather do it myself. I like to know whats going on with my bike, and noone gives a sh*t more than me when It comes to my bike. If you're that way too,
Yep. My wife just finished changing the oil in her Sportster and she's never worked on anything before. Easier than a car (no crawling under).

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service Is it worth it ?