General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley concerns!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: harley concerns!

ORIGINAL: jafo33

let me start wth this is my first harley fxstsi. been doing alot of reading on my new bike. concerns are crank case breather. is stock breather going to be spitting oil all over bike and me.NO according to the so called pros the stock ones are junk.NO other concerns primary chain dose it need a auto chain tensioner,NO if i dont have it is chain going to need constant ajustment. NOoil cooler dose it need one.NO is bike going to bake itself on way home from dealer.NO i knew going into this purchase there would extras to buy to make it my own but i thought it would be purly chrome accessories and oil changes. not rebuilding engine and suspension . can i buy it and ride it with cofidance in that stock is fine.YES just some concerns maybe reading to much into it.

I keep my Roadking stock and I play mod with my Dyna. Both are fault free.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Break it in easy like the owners manual says and put synthetic oil in it at the 1000 mile service and ride that baby til you feel like messing with it. Just follow the maintanance schedule in the owners manual and you will be fine. Lots of people have bikes and never touch them except riding and that's fine........me I'm Mr **** Retentive Wacko so I have to practically check the oil while I'm riding because by some majic stroke of science the oil may have disappeared in 11 miles........but that's just me.....not the bike.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: onephsyco1

ORIGINAL: wvrider

All I ever hear about is what crap Harleys are. I work with a guy that has a 1800 VTX. He's always ragging on me about my bike. Well today I finally shut him up. I went to the NHTSA web site and did a search for reported concern on my (ratty) Harley, and his superior Honda. Well it turned out there were NO reports on my model and year, but there was two pages on his great Honda. Needless to say, he had nothing to say after that. The fact of the matter is, Harleys aren't as bad as you here, and other bikes aren't as good as they lead you to believe.
I would like to see that ! Do you have a Link for it ?

Jack

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard from Omaha, Nebraska.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Let me explain something to you, I have 128,000 on my 99 FLHT, no oil cooler and it has been to the southwest desert, no automatic primary chain tenioner, if I run it at over 85 for a few miles I might get some breather issues, but nothing to worry about, just wipe it off and go on.
I'm not far behind with my 2000 FLHTC at 105,000 miles and I also travel the desert SW in the summer heat with no oil cooler.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the rumors that never seem to go away!

Oil cooler...My '04 Dyna's digital oil temp dipstick averaged between 250 and 285 degrees while riding through Northern AZ on my way to Needles, CA two years ago and the bike never missed a beat. Cook the motor without an oil-cooler...I don't think so.

Automatic chain tensioner...I've considered getting one just because I think it's a nice unit that would make maintenance a little simpler...no other reason.

Oil breather...Maybe after a long stretch of Interstate at high speeds you'd get a little oil, but otherwise not much of a problem. I've had zero oil moisture on my '06 Street Glide in the 5,000 miles I've driven it.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The geniuses that keep telling you how crappy Harley's are and how much they leak oil etc are either still living in the 70's/80's, or have never ridden a Harley. Next time you hear that, ask them why they aren't wearing their Miami Vice clothes, as they are living in the wrong decade!

Ride what you like, when you like. You don't like my ride, well tough **** turkey! I like it and I'm not getting rid of it just because a few pansies out there feel the need to belittle everything that they can't have.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to all newbe's these guys have just said what alot of have always belived harley makes one great bike . we all we all know about rumors need i say more .

Old 03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ride the bike if it stops on you then you worry.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:04 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can i buy it and ride it with cofidance in that stock is fine.
Absolutley. Some mods are done out of neccessity like crank case breathers, which are more of an old problem than a new problem. Others are done just because we can do them.

Breather: Most do this to reroute oil mist from going into the carb to the atmosphere or a filter/container when they do a high flow air filter. It's not really neccessary and I have never experienced oil blowby yet and I have a sportster, which were notorious for this problem in the past. If you experience it, then you probably overfilled the oil tank or it's on a high mileage bike.

Chain Tensioner: The automatic one is not neccessary, but it's just there for convienence. The 06 bikes actually come with automatic chain tensioners now. Adjusting the chain does not occur frequently and is a lot easier and less expensive than adjusting the valves on japanese bikes. You bike has hydralic valves so you don't ever have to worry about that. A lot of guys will just add these because they don't want to look at the primary chain for tens of thousands of miles.

Suspension: A lot of people will do these mods because the suspension is designed for the average rider, which harley-davidson thinks is 180 lbs. This is not just done to harley's, but other bikes as well. Italian bike makers think that 180 lbs is the average rider weight also and their shocks are often swapped out also. A lot of people will switch over to progresssives because they're inexpensive and they see a big improvement. Those people include people who ride japanese cruisers as well.

Oil cooler: If you ride in the dessert or heavy stop and go traffic in real high temperatures you might want to consider one, but it's not neccessary. Just run synthetic oil and it should lower the temperature by 15-20 degrees and extend the drain interval on top of that.

Remember that a lot of the mods we do are more because we can and not because they are neccessary. Wait until you get a few accessory catalogs and then you will understand.

Quick Reply: harley concerns!