General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler Running with 87 Octane???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfshead1
87 buyer here,cooler and runs better,Sunoco and Marathon especially.92 gives me blisters and backfires.No ping and power is just fine for my old butt.

Sunoco is 10% methanol and HD does not allow methanol, avoid it.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by cHarley
BUT, as your elevation increases, the need for higher octane decreases. That's why in cities at higher elevations premium fuel tends to be 91 octane while at sea level, premium fuel is 93 octane.

What da?

Huh?

I hope this thread never ends!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
BUT, as your elevation increases, the need for higher octane decreases. That's why in cities at higher elevations premium fuel tends to be 91 octane while at sea level, premium fuel is 93 octane.
Just as an additional point of interest; here in the western part of the Netherlands we're at about 15' below sea level and the lowest octane available at the pump is 95, which is what HD recommends - runs no problem. Premium is 98 by the way. Over in Germany you can get 93 octane and maybe even 91. I put either of those in the machine when I'm travelling there and never had a problem. Just sayin'

Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Sunoco is 10% methanol and HD does not allow methanol, avoid it.
HD "allows" up to 10% ethanol; no pump gas has methanol in it.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Rode the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. A few stations only had "regular" and I wasn't betting there would be gas nearby, so I topped the tank with what they had. 600 miles, half above 3000 ftt, the rest between 2000 and 300. When I totaled it up.... I averaged 53 MPG, but I was in "sight seer" mode, and told the OL to lead while on the BRP, so she could pull over at any vista she wanted..
Not looking to USE 87 on a regular basis, but it's good to know , I can "top off" with it, and not worry. but then, I hate to suck the tank down ,unless I have to, so it's rare that I would ever put a half tank of regular in anyway

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the Blue Ridge Parkway on 87 octane any time and never have I ever heard a ping. I use regular gas in both my bikes. My lowrider has SERT in it and has alway ride with the lower octane fuel. I do 20k per year on the bikes and never had any problem. The RG is more less stock and it runs great with lower octane fuel. If I had the oversized motor made for track or bar hops maybe I would have to do the higher grade fuel for those little town runs.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pococj
HD "allows" up to 10% ethanol; no pump gas has methanol in it.
Speaking of ethanol. I have many boater friends who are very concerned about winter storing with ethanol gas in the boats. They have been citing information they have read that shows that the big problem with ethanol is that it breaks down. The end result is internal corrosion.
Seems like most stations in my area are 10% ethanol.

With winter approaching, I would think this would be an issue for many on this forum also.

Anyone heard of this?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About 6 months ago, it was only a few gas stations that used ethanol. Now, it is impossible to find one that doesn't. Down here, we don't have a choice.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
BCGlide
Cruiser

So if EFI has an iso knock sensor, is this sensor deactivated if one puts a piggyback ECM modifier on? Sometimes I get a light knock at 75 MPH or so uphill with a headwind. Just wondering..

Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marksman
Speaking of ethanol. I have many boater friends who are very concerned about winter storing with ethanol gas in the boats. They have been citing information they have read that shows that the big problem with ethanol is that it breaks down. The end result is internal corrosion.
Seems like most stations in my area are 10% ethanol.

With winter approaching, I would think this would be an issue for many on this forum also.

Anyone heard of this?
Let me first say, this is part knowledge, and part opinion, based on experience.
We have had 'ethanol' here for yrs.(25+) But for some reason, I believe a change in formula (opinion), this past year or so, I have done more carb work, than the last 3 yrs total.
Had to pull bowls off, spray carb cleaner thru jets, clean bowl, and would run fine. This happened more than once, on same scoots. After June, haven't had any issues. ?????????? Your guess as good as mine. But other wrenches have voiced same scenario. Sometimes, there was this 'green' lookin' slime/jello lookin' junk in the bowls. And it happened with small engines (mowers, weed whackers, etc), too.

Storage: We have known for a long time, the 'new' gas, does not store worth a chit. I usually drain EVERYTHNG out, and run til dry to prevent slime/sludge. Some folks up here have to 'cold' store their scoots. I prefer to keep tank topped off,(but dry carb) if that is how you have to store it. (Keeps moisture from accumulating) To accomplish this, some use Sta-Bil, a cheaper method is either 2 cycle oil mixed in to gas, or SeaFoam. I use SeaFoam. But either way, it pretty much stabilizes the gas. Or at least, it has appeared to. I have experimented with 2, 5 gal gas cans. One with and one without SeaFoam. I BELIEVE there was a difference when spring came, and I used the gas. But that could be wishful thinkin' on my part, jus' sayin'. Obviously I have no scientific way of testing it to document my findings.

Quick Reply: Cooler Running with 87 Octane???