General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler Running with 87 Octane???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had to use some 87 lately like many others and found no difference in sound(like engine noise) or performance. I did not check mileage. If high octane gives better mileage than lower cost 87 octane, it seems the value difference would be insignificant. If the MOCO says to use min 91 octane, and if it's available, I'll use it.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Not sure I even wanna touch this bee hive. Looks like there is plenty of 'detonation' going on already...
Sorry...those dang triple-bean burritos will do that.

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
...You have prob'ly heard pre-ignition, if you have ever shut off the ignition, and the engine will continue to run on. That's caused by pre-ignition...
Is that another term for dieseling??? If I remember correctly, Wynn's use to make a product called "SpitFire" - a chemical fuel additive that helped reduce dieseling due to carbon buildup in the cylinders. Those little carbon deposits acted just like tiny spark plugs and would allow the engine to keep running. I don't think this is much of an issue any more as most, if not all, fuel injected systems cut off fuel.

But you added some good information...I appreciate it!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Sorry...those dang triple-bean burritos will do that.

Is that another term for dieseling??? If I remember correctly, Wynn's use to make a product called "SpitFire" - a chemical fuel additive that helped reduce dieseling due to carbon buildup in the cylinders. Those little carbon deposits acted just like tiny spark plugs and would allow the engine to keep running. I don't think this is much of an issue any more as most, if not all, fuel injected systems cut off fuel.

But you added some good information...I appreciate it!!!
Yes, Sir. I used to think that was caused by a 'lean' carb. But in fact, a 'rich' carb leads to it, as you stated, carbon buildup.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When your pistons burn out on top... I will still be riding!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member

Some extremely well informed gear heads commenting here, thanks to all, good info.

The company recommends premium.
In a typical 3 gallon top off, that's less than a buck difference.
Why NOT put in premium?
That said, the few times I couldn't get premium it ran fine.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior

I will use what I have to use, but always clean it up with high Oct. l.ray

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
IrishHarleymin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my owners manual says use nothing less than 91octane. So I think I will follow what Harley recommends.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gump, I think it is iso-octane, that was used to rate "octane" of fuel. It was assigned an arbitrary number of 100, and not sure on this one, my chemistry was many decades ago, but I think it is n-heptane, which was assigned the number of 0.

cHarley, as you go up in altitude, you will lose about 3% of power per 1000ft of elevation gain. Part of this is because your compression ratio will drop as you gain altitude. I live at 6000ft and gas usually at 4000ft and above is 85 for regular/ 87 for mid-grade and 91 for premium. I strive to run 87 octane in my '08 as I get some pinging around town, but I am a bit over 300lbs also, so the bike has a load. Little better fuel economy with the lower octane fuel, if I remember correctly, the lower octane fuels have components with longer hydrocarbon chains and a bit more energy in the carbon-to-carbon bonds.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrat
Gump, I think it is iso-octane, that was used to rate "octane" of fuel. It was assigned an arbitrary number of 100, and not sure on this one, my chemistry was many decades ago, but I think it is n-heptane, which was assigned the number of 0.

cHarley, as you go up in altitude, you will lose about 3% of power per 1000ft of elevation gain. Part of this is because your compression ratio will drop as you gain altitude. I live at 6000ft and gas usually at 4000ft and above is 85 for regular/ 87 for mid-grade and 91 for premium. I strive to run 87 octane in my '08 as I get some pinging around town, but I am a bit over 300lbs also, so the bike has a load. Little better fuel economy with the lower octane fuel, if I remember correctly, the lower octane fuels have components with longer hydrocarbon chains and a bit more energy in the carbon-to-carbon bonds.
That be the stuff. Thanx for the 'refresher'.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I've run every thing that I have had on regular since the 90's. Better mileage and starting. All of my vehicles state 91 octane. 07FXSTC, 04 Honda Rune, 02 Honda VTX1800, 07 Kawasaki Nomad, 02 Vette, 08 Vette (436 hp),05 Honda S2000 and 07 Dodge Hemi 4x4.

No problem at all. They are all run strong. The emc takes care of everything.

Loss of performance. I don't think so. The Softail will stay right with the VTX until about 80mph. That's moving folks. No ping at all. I do have an oil cooler which helps and a Corbra Fi2000R which puts more fuel in in low to mid rpm range.

Quick Reply: Cooler Running with 87 Octane???