General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair Estimate / My crash story

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
ar15rifle
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Repair Estimate / My crash story

My wife and I were in Raleigh the other day at the UNC hospital. As we were leaving the parking lot a lady came around the corner and decided she needed both lanes for her too big for her Tahoe. So I cut hard right to avoid becoming a hood ornament and scraped my pipes on the concrete curb bordering the landscaping. No one was hurt, but it was close. So now the fun starts. No tickets were issued to her, she denies everything of course and I have to get an estimate for repair. I know I need new pipes but I put them on myself (V&H Sideshots in chrome). I called the dealership here (Fayetteville) and they want $65 for the estimate. My problem is that if I pay the money and get the estimate and her insurance company says she isn't at fault I'm out the $65. So where else in the area can I go for an estimate? I live on Fort Bragg. Also her insurance company is Twin City Fire who is owned by Hartford I guess. Anyone have any experience dealing with them? If so what can I expect? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Is the total extent of the damage the pipes? If so tell them how much they cost, or send them a catalog page. That simple.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Print out a webpage with the highest price you can find for them. I think list is $619 or something...

Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had an encounter with the typical Chapel Hill soccer mom.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No witnesses? Collect the info as per the prior posts. If they balk turn it over to your insurance company and let them hash it out....funny how those insurance lawyers get the job done. Ain't that what you're paying for?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:11 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Also call the dealer and ask their hourly rate and tell them it takes how ever many hours they quote you.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was there a police report? if so wait till you see it and see how the officer wrote it up.if it was written that she came into oncoming traffic then go after her ins.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raleigh? Went down there a week ago and was amazed at the **** poor "Me first!" attitude of the drivers. Had a Corvette chop me off bad at the entrance to a slip road, which was doubly stoopid as the vehicle in front was a slow moving Ryder truck! I mean, he wasn't going anywhere quick, no room. Happily, he had his window down so got my opinion at first hand. Of course he shot off like a scalded cat once past that truck, or we might have had a close encounter of the smack in the mouth kind.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if no police report was filed then you can still do it now. do you ahve contact information of the lady and her insurance? At that point file a police report, get the info as mentioned above and contact her insurance.

good luck

Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Your insurance company should have a claims adjuster who will give you a full price quote for no charge. Screw the $65....that is stealer BS

Quick Reply: Repair Estimate / My crash story