General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another idiot on a phone........

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
learfxr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed a women for 30+ miles the other morning from Weatherford into Fort Worth. She was doing her hair and makeup the entire drive. She was brushing her hair for several miles and then started with the curling iron, I wanted to smash my truck into her at that point. I don't know what the car companies were thinking when they put a big mirror on the driver sun visor and then you have the women who turn the rearview for them to use. I told my wife if she used her mirrors in her new Tahoe like that I'd rip them out.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
smudge
Tourer

Originally Posted by krwould
Thats freakin terrible! Not to kick a dead horse but their are people that swear that they can use their cell phones with no problem while driving whatever their driving! I say BS!
+100000000000000000000000 to the 100000000000000000000000000000th power!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
smudge
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mac57
I agree with all of you. But unfortunately cell phone use while driving is here to stay. Law or no law, people will continue to talk on their cells simply because the technology exists. Don't get me wrong. I am not in agreement with the practice and think it is stupid, but it is going to be a fact of driving life from now on. We are just going to have to ride like we truly are invisible. It seems to me that we bike riders are the only ones using the road correctly and are fully paying attention to traffic. Maybe that is so not only because we are more vulnerable, but because we cannot hold a cell, read a paper, or sip a latte like a lot of cage drivers do. Maybe every driver ought to ride a motorcycle for a few years before being allowed to operate something bigger and more deadly.
I call BS! If the gutless politicos would get their heads out of their troughs and make TOUGH penalties people would stop doing it. In the UK it's a $200 fine and 3 points 1st offense, third time you get a year's ban. How about confiscating the phone the first time, a driving ban the second time, and confiscation of the vehicle the third time? You think that might get their extremely limited attention span?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he just kissed your bike, glad it wasn't worse.

In Europe they're very strict and have been for like 3 years now.

In Spain now, no more Bluetooth earpieces, ....the phone has to be connected to a speaker or the stereo system.

2 months ago there was an accident and the person who was NOT at fault was found to be using the phone. Now the insurance is saying because he was breaking the law they don't wanna pay out. ..... Not sure how that one's gonna end.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,364 Likes on 8,413 Posts

Here, where I live the cops use there cell phones more than there 2 ways.
I can't remember the last time I passed a cop who didn't have a phone mashed to his head.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Monzie
Tourer

Good on you for not kicking the living crap out of him. If it was me the SP's/MP's would have been hauling me away, cause he most likely would have got jacked in the mouth. If you were actually on base property I would have at least made a report out to the base cops that way the retard would at least get talked to by his First Sergeant.

Last edited by Monzie; 10-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
vega823
Road Master

Glad to hear that you are okay and there was no damage to you or the scoot.
Just to pass the time yesterday morning while waiting for the bus to work, I started counting the number of people who were driving along the street who were talking on cell phones (NOT hands free devices, hand-to-the-head cell phone). Of the 20-30 cars that went past me for each time the light turned green, there was an AVERAGE of 5 morons yacking away on the phone. That is just nuts! And it is against the law in New York to drive while talking on the cell phone. Seems like some laws just get ignored, and are not enforced. People are getting hurt and killed and nothing is being done to stop it.
Frustrating as hell. We just gotta be careful and hope the madness ends.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Drtbag
Tourer

Glad your rear end wasn't hit that bad. Could have been worse.

In ALL seriousness I believe we need some sort of IQ test or a Thinking while in motion test of some sort, before people get their license to drive.
I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE ITS THE PHONES THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It's the same as the old Gun debate, "Guns don't kill. People kill"
Get real. it's the people behind the phones that can't think, talk and drive at the same time. oh yea and chew gum.

If it is the phones. Then we better outlaw radios in cars as well and put a barrier between the driver and passengers, because we don't want any interruptions on the one thing we can do at a time.
There are laws in place in the entire country that covers phones, makeup, reading or any other thing that disrupts our concentration. It's called inattentive driving.
But hey what the hell our Government needs more **** to pass and waste our tax dollars on. Hooray More government and unneeded laws that's what we need.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

Originally Posted by krwould
Thats freakin terrible! Not to kick a dead horse but their are people that swear that they can use their cell phones with no problem while driving whatever their driving! I say BS!
Nope, we are out there. You just don't notice us because you don't look at the guy looking out for you and giving you extra room and think "hey, that good driver is on a cell phone"

Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

Funniest thing I ever saw was a guy on a bagger talking on one while riding. No crap. I couldn't believe. Just when you thought you have seen everything.
I MISS pay phones...

Quick Reply: Another idiot on a phone........