Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victory Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default On the fence...

IMO, Victory tries too hard to make their bikes look like semi-customs.
Trick wheels, all sorts of billet bits, custom paint, etc. Everything I'm trying to AVOID doing to my RK. I think bikes that people have attempted to turn into 'customs' look really out of place when they get older.
It's just like old, classic Chevelles, Camaros, what-have-you, etc, that guys still run around in all jacked up with mag wheels and fat tires, when they really ought to have put them back to stock. It might have been somewhat cool 30+ years ago, but now it looks just TACKY....just like current Victorys are going to be in time.

CN

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bojo
Yeah, you're a pretty funny guy...just like your H-D. Funniest thing...I love leaving you clowns in my dust. Fun to give you a ration of ****, hope to see you in my rear view mirror sometime...you'll know me by the back of my head...BRRRRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW
You get something else with a Harley - a lifestyle, tradition, some recognition from bikers - things you wouldn't understand.

You seem to have a bad case of ***** envy.

I agree with how you're obviously feeling. You made a mistake not buying a Harley but I can't help you now.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
schwartzkm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty06
Victory dealers - Here today gone tomorrow. I don't know what happened to the Victory dealer in Arlington, Tx. but their gone. The first time I looked at Victory's the prices made them attractive. Then when I was ready to buy the prices were right up there with HD. Then I checked on resale - not good.

Dealers - questionable
prices - high
resale - bad

Decision made, buy the Harley since that is really what I wanted anyway.

sporty06

That's the first I heard they were no longer in business. Last I was there was for Vic demo days but it appears they were doing well. I did hear that Iron horse of Texas was considering buying the dealership out, however, so maybe that is what happened?

Prices are high but Victory is willing to deal below msrp on most models. The Victory dealership which just opened up in McKinney, TX offered me $14,900 for their leftover 2008 Kingpin Tour which is almost $2500.00 off of the msrp price! You just have to haggle and deal with them...its not H-D.

They are also extremely reliable machines and very easy to maintain. I know individuals with well over 60k on their bikes and one pushing 200k with no major engine issues at all. They change the oil and ride.

Why didn't I buy?
1. I am saving for a 2009 Streetglide or Roadglide. Victory doesn't make a model like that otherwise I might consider them.

2. I have known of three dealers in the DFW area that have either sold their business to another bike shop or just went out of business. This is the Polaris dealers in Mckinney's 2nd try at Vics...I hope they do well because the competition has forced H-D to make a better machine.

3. Victory has been around for 10 years and currently their profit margin looks great. However, if the economy tanks, high-priced bike manufacturers WILL suffer and that places Victory and H-D in the cross hairs. Who do you think has the deeper pockets and loyal base of customers to carry them through this downturn in the economy? Not Victory. I only hope H-D doesn't go through another AMF (?) era of bike making in order to turn a profit!

Last edited by schwartzkm; 10-01-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll race ya, Bojo. Some HD's are quite fast

Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM
John R.
Banned

Originally Posted by JBaker421
You get something else with a Harley - a lifestyle, tradition, some recognition from bikers - things you wouldn't understand.

You seem to have a bad case of ***** envy.

I agree with how you're obviously feeling. You made a mistake not buying a Harley but I can't help you now.
Now this is getting funny.

A lifestyle??? What lifestyle??? I thought you bought a bike to have some fun. I didn't know you bought a lifestyle as well.

Tradition??? What tradition did I get when I got my HD's??

Recognition from bikers?? Do you actually care what others think of you???

The reason I bought HD's was simply that there were plenty of dealers around and a large aftermarket for them. That's it.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ok, everyone sing

Kum by ah, my lord, kum by ah Kum by ah, my lord, kum by ah Oh lord, kum by ah ... Oh lord, kum by ah......

Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
steveoh62
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John R.
Now this is getting funny.

A lifestyle??? What lifestyle??? I thought you bought a bike to have some fun. I didn't know you bought a lifestyle as well.

Tradition??? What tradition did I get when I got my HD's??

Recognition from bikers?? Do you actually care what others think of you???

The reason I bought HD's was simply that there were plenty of dealers around and a large aftermarket for them. That's it.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 AM
John R.
Banned

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
IMO, Victory tries too hard to make their bikes look like semi-customs.
Trick wheels, all sorts of billet bits, custom paint, etc. Everything I'm trying to AVOID doing to my RK. I think bikes that people have attempted to turn into 'customs' look really out of place when they get older.
It's just like old, classic Chevelles, Camaros, what-have-you, etc, that guys still run around in all jacked up with mag wheels and fat tires, when they really ought to have put them back to stock. It might have been somewhat cool 30+ years ago, but now it looks just TACKY....just like current Victorys are going to be in time.

CN
Victory has choices of paint, wheels and parts like HD does. You can either go all out or keep it subdued. I kinda go with the "chrome won't get you home" theory and prefer black bikes myself but I won't deny someone a nod when I see a cool paint job or cool wheels.

Think like this, if you had a chance to bang a young chick with big, beautiful, perky ****, are you gonna tell her 'no thanks, ten or fifteen years from now your ***** will be around your knees and it will look tacky'?? I think not.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

At least Victory puts a recognizable logo on some of their bikes, most of the metrics out there look generic like they come "debadged" from the factory.

or maybe the owners do that to 'em

Half the people I work with including some automobile-knowledgeable men see a metric or a Victory and ask: is that a Harley? When I say no, they always ask: how can you tell?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
John R.
Banned

Originally Posted by schumacher
ok, everyone sing

Kum by ah, my lord, kum by ah Kum by ah, my lord, kum by ah Oh lord, kum by ah ... Oh lord, kum by ah......
Kum by ah??? HAR!!!

There's some funny chit here man.

Quick Reply: Victory Motorcycles