General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: WHICH TOURING BIKE IS THE SMOOTHEST AT IDLE & CRUISE ?
ROAD KING
18.18%
ROAD KING CLASSIC
10.61%
STREET GLIDE
6.82%
ROAD GLIDE
14.39%
ELECTRA GLIDE STANDARD
1.52%
ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC
5.30%
ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE
43.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Which "touring" is the smoothest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Since they're all equal, that makes the Road Glide the best.

A totally unbiased opinion from someone who just coincidentally has a Road Glide.

Actually, the thought that the RG has less weight on the handlebars is something interesting that I hadn't thought of.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Road King Classic is the best looking bike HD makes, so you can't go wrong with that choice!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroShark
I think the Road King Classic is the best looking bike HD makes, so you can't go wrong with that choice!

And yet you show a pic of a Road King Custom.....

I agree with the pic, the RK Custom is the best looking.....

Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Since they're all equal, that makes the Road Glide the best.

A totally unbiased opinion from someone who just coincidentally has a Road Glide.

Actually, the thought that the RG has less weight on the handlebars is something interesting that I hadn't thought of.
Phew, glad you had the most unbiased opinion out there!

Actually I've heard the RG is the smoothest on the road, mainly because of the frame mounted fairing. I don't know if it's true though. The guy I bought my EG from has offered his Road Glide to take out, but I'm afraid that I'll like it too much and then really be in the hole for a bike!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Don't know really! First RKC I ever owned and definitely rides better than the rigid!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Once you get the Ultra up and running on the hwy its the best to have the intercom/Radio/cassette and once you get where you're going all the extra storage especially with 2 up is appreciated. Cruises no problem 80mph.
CASSETTE!!! BWAAAHAAA well I guess it beats trying to store all those 8 tracks....
One of my friends says the Ultra shakes like a queer eatin a hotdog at an idle but I just chalk it up to the bigger motor and once you crack the throttle it smooths right out....no complaints here, but that is just my unbiased opinion. Wish I had bought the Ultra years ago.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM
EVO80
Road Captain

There is a difference between the suspensions on the touring bikes - roadkings use a conventional type (damper tubes) fork on both sides - those models with a fairing use a conventional type fork on the right side but use a damper cartridge fork on the left side. That said, I've never been able to feel much of a difference between touring models- they all ride great.

Last edited by EVO80; 09-29-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
And yet you show a pic of a Road King Custom.....

I agree with the pic, the RK Custom is the best looking.....

I knew someone would pickup on that! I LOVE my custom....but I still think the Classic is the best looking (but not by much)!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra110
CASSETTE!!! BWAAAHAAA well I guess it beats trying to store all those 8 tracks....
One of my friends says the Ultra shakes like a queer eatin a hotdog at an idle but I just chalk it up to the bigger motor and once you crack the throttle it smooths right out....no complaints here, but that is just my unbiased opinion. Wish I had bought the Ultra years ago.

True true those damned 8 tracks were taking entirely too much space in the tour pac.

In all seriousness I made some recent adjustments in my life long love of motorcycles that I am hoping to be yet another chapter of memories. I tore it up most of my life but now in my 50's, kids gone I am looking for quality time for me and the Mrs. Your turns coming with any luck. In the mean time I encourage all you young studs to tear it up, give those coppers a reason, in a respectful manner of course.

Below is one of the 2 bikes I tore it up with all my youth. I sold it this past Jan/Feb. No regrets. I'm happy to have come out on the other end and in fairly okay condition (aside from a few knots and scars).

Attached Thumbnails Poll:  Which "touring" is the smoothest?-pan.jpg  

Last edited by badinfluence63; 09-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami Cruzer
Which TOURING bike has the smoothest idle & cruise?
I'm considering trading.........
Since I'm NOT able to ride all the touring models, I'd like your opinion on which is the smoothest.
THANKS!
they are all built on the same chasis...it is the other comforts that will make the main difference, as mentioned....ie: radio, intercom, lugage space, or even how much bike is inbetween you and the elements.

I would suggest to look at the type of riding that you do, the amount of stuff you take with you and then get the bike that fits that equation. I would not get more bike than you need, you might not be happy if you end up doing more solo one day trips with an Ultra Classic as for example a RoadKing.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Poll: Which "touring" is the smoothest?