General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile First Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 AM
twincambill
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1000 mile First Service

Hey, I am coming up on my first oil change and I might try to do it myself. I have the service manual for 2008 dynas. The oil drain plug is hard to get to with a socket wrench because of the bumper for the jiffy stand. I can reach it with a 5/8 box end wrench. But then my torque wrench with socket will not fit to replace and torque the plug. Is the torque spec that critical for the drain plug...or do any of you just tighten it up and check for leaks? I do not have a lift jack and would change the oil with bike in the ground. Thanks for any replies!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Rug Burn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just snug it up to where you think is the right torque. If you're really concerned, you might try to hand tighten one of the bolts you can get to and check its torque with your torque wrench. Kind of calibrate your hand that way.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 AM
twincambill
Advanced

Thanks for the reply!! We will see how it goes...going to a dealer today to get filter wrench and filter. Looks like a lot of the bike lower gets oily when you remove the filter.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Twincambill, that bumper for the kickstand will rotate and move out of your way allowing you to torque the drain plug. I just did it on mine. Then you can move it right back where it needs to be.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may just want to reconsider and let the dealer do the 1000. It's the most critical of all of them. I do all my own oil changes, crankcase, tranny, primary etc. but I let dealer do the 1000, there are lots of stuff on the first one that needs checked over, belt tention, clutch adjust on a new bike just to name afew.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

+1 Yeah, what he said. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get the bike checked out. The first few checkups are very important to your bike's breakin process and early detection of potential problems, not to mention your warranty status.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,623 Likes on 3,437 Posts

Originally Posted by AZRenegade
+1 Yeah, what he said. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get the bike checked out. The first few checkups are very important to your bike's breakin process and early detection of potential problems, not to mention your warranty status.
And any one of those problems could result in serious injury or death. Don't believe me? Check the owner's manual--it's in there about 500 times.

Seriously, though, I would (and did) have the 1,000 mile service done by the dealer. If something is going to go wrong with the bike in the first 30,000 miles, it usually goes wrong in the first 1,000. Better to have the dealer catch it now than later.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM
twincambill
Advanced

Ok, thank you again...some more very good advice!!! My problem is that I am some distance from dealerships. I bought my bike in Alabama and would go to that dealer but it is 200 miles away! There is one closer in Jackson, Ms. and I am going there for the filter etc., but I don't know much about them! I may check them out today! It really is not so much the money as I keep reading HERE about botched service, overfilled crankcases, etc. My bike (first harley) seems so incredibly perfect I guess I don't want to leave it with anyone....of course I could screw it up royally myself!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I do have service/maintence type done I don't ususlly leave it. Dealer about 40 mi away. I usually let them know I will be there first thing at opening, they get me on in, get it done while I wait. Of course during really busy times of the year they can't do this, and is why I began to do my own service to start with. If more people figured out how easy it is to do the fluid changes, there would be a lot less work for the stealers.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fluid and filter changes are easy, at least on my bike. Don't imagine a Dyna would be that much different or harder. But letting the dealer do it, you at least have that record if something breaks down later and you need warranty work done. The guys at HD of Cartersville here in Georgia did mine while I waited.

Where are you located in Alabama, if you don't mind my asking? I just looked at my HOG atlas and it shows 10 HD dealers in Alabama. Maybe there's one you don't know about.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile First Service