General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile First Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 AM
twincambill
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two wheels, I am in Mississippi, exact center of the state...80 miles from Jackson. I bought my bike at Heart of Dixie HD in Pelham, Ala.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 AM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let the dealer do it. My dealer explained to me that the 1k service in the most critical. He gave an example of a customer who came in with a bike purchased from another dealer. The bike was having engine problems at about 3k miles. Factory was contacted and ordered comprehensive testing (e.g., fluid analyses). When they were done with the testing factory rep asked if the 1k service had been performed. The customer presented proof and was given a new motor. Without the proof, he would have had a $6k bill to repair his bike.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildcat465
Let the dealer do it. My dealer explained to me that the 1k service in the most critical. He gave an example of a customer who came in with a bike purchased from another dealer. The bike was having engine problems at about 3k miles. Factory was contacted and ordered comprehensive testing (e.g., fluid analyses). When they were done with the testing factory rep asked if the 1k service had been performed. The customer presented proof and was given a new motor. Without the proof, he would have had a $6k bill to repair his bike.
Not necessarily so! I keep all purchase receipts for fluids, filters, etc. and if I produce them and state I performed the proper maintainence they can't deny me warranty work just on that alone.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM
twincambill
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow,...ok I will check out this dealer in Jackson today. Anyone have issues with service at Heart of Dixie in Pelham Ala....or HD in Jackson,Ms.?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Your dyna is really easy to work on. To torque the engine crankcase bolt put a 6" extension on your torque wrench and a short socket and it will fit.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twincambill
It really is not so much the money as I keep reading HERE about botched service, overfilled crankcases, etc.
Yep, you've heard of a lot of screw-ups on here.

But wait a minute......I wonder how many Harleys are out there that got GOOD service from their dealer?

Like any other thing that people gripe about....you only hear of the BAD...never the good. And the good usually outnumbers the bad by about 10,000:1.

Take it to the dealer. You'll be ahead in the long run.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason I prefer the dealers to the small time Indy (and there are some very good Indy's) is the "Deep Pocket Theory" in case something does get screwed up.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do It Yourself. With the money you will save you can buy the service manual. Go online to some of the dealers and you will find a service list that they perform for each of the service intervals. Pick the one for your bike and check off the items as you do them. If you can turn a wrench you can do it yourself. You will know that it was done and done right if you do it. It's not that difficult and gets much easier after the first one. Just save your receipts and the service list and your warranty will be good. I've done my own service on both Harleys from day one and I find it hard to trust my bike to a mechanic that doesn't love my bike like I do.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
learfxr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw the dealer taking my money for service. I do my own. I don't trust anyone else touching my stuff. I'm sure they have maybe one or two guys that have been to school for bikes, the rest are prob just good enough to turn a wrench when told. I've seen too many things screwed up by mechanics and seen and heard too much about the test rides when done. I'm an aircraft mechanic and can certainly handle working on a bike. I just did my 1000 mile work and it was not hard at all. I bought the service manual and took my time.

Don't worry about the torque on the drain plugs. I was being overly **** and when I torqued it per the book it rolled the oring out and tore it up. Just make it snug, it won't go anywhere. If it worries you then check it after rides or something.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twincambill
Two wheels, I am in Mississippi, exact center of the state...80 miles from Jackson. I bought my bike at Heart of Dixie HD in Pelham, Ala.
Okay, the atlas shows HD of Jackson in Jackson and Chunky River HD in Meridian which are both a lot closer than Pelham, AL. Two more, one in Biloxi and another in Horn Lake. So if either of those are still in business, you could contact them for the service.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile First Service