General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being cheap or is...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008 | 05:50 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

Yeah, my 5000 was around $180. I have a good relationship with the service manager, and I kind of get the "good old boys" price, because I have had friends go in for the same check and pay $100 more. I do think its a scam, because as you said, its under 2 hours work. They just did my 10,000 and I think they charged me $250. One thing I do, is when I have service done, there is a 6 pack of beer in the saddle bag for the guys in the shop. It helps with the price!

Old 09-28-2008 | 05:55 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm learning to wrench my own. It's partly because it relaxes me and partly the dough.

My wife rides too so it's multiple Harleys and big bucks when you add it all up.

I've wrenched street rods and hot rods for years so with the help on this forum I figure I can get it done.

Old 09-28-2008 | 06:17 AM
0204665J
Tourer

Part of the high cost are all the checks dealers are suppose to perform other tasks as part of the service (ie. critical nuts, checking motors mounts and such). But most of the time most mechanics do not check them "all or even any" since they are paid by the dealer based on the project. So the faster they get done the more bikes they do and the more they make. It is a simple as that. After letting my dealer do it a couple of time I do the changes now not only because it is cheaper, but because I know I will check it fully.
Service contracts are generally a rip-off as they have you bringing in the bike every 2500 miles which is much more that what HD requires (They know most of the time most people will not put on the miles needed to make it a negative). For even those users who ride alot it and think the dealer is not making any money on them I can tell you it would take alot before any dealer loses any money (since they buy below our cost, use tax deductions for any apparent loses). Their margins might be lower but they generally always make money.
Lastly I hate the time of riding to the dealer leaving the bike and waiting until they are finished. By that time, I could have done all that all the work with my morning coffee and would be on the road knowing it was done correctly, per normal service intervals, and cost effectively.
I am not a young guy anymore and not a mechanic, but it is great to know you are in control by doing your own wrenching. I am all for dealerships making money, but it is value for dollar you are spending.

Old 09-28-2008 | 06:44 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Like was previously stated get yourself the shop/service manual. Trust me the techs are paid flat rate. ALOT of the checks are bypassed in the interest of completing the task quicker. Shop manual,torque wrench,#27 torx head,snap-on payment plan plus a six pack and you got a great afternoon, plus you know its done correctly.

Old 09-28-2008 | 06:48 AM
edeluxe07
Tourer

yeah, it's called "cuz we can charge that much" and there are people who will pay... which is why I started doing my own oil/filter, plugs and other basic maint. myself...

Old 09-28-2008 | 07:14 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
You changed all 3 holes at 5000? Why? Only oil change is required at 5000.
I really just wanted to learn how to do it myself, and it certainly couldn't hurt. I plan on following the regular change schedule from now on except I will change the engine oil every 3000 miles.

Old 09-28-2008 | 07:32 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master

I bought the service manual and do the work myself on mine. It not under warranty anymore anyhow. I'm very particular and want all the checks done on mine. The only thing I can't do is check/adjust engine idle. If something beyond the normal maintenance happens, I'll have to decide then whether to take it in or do it myself.

Old 09-28-2008 | 07:52 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

Your not being cheap. Its your hard earned money.

Sounds like its too late this time and sorry to say yes you got hosed.

A good analogy is you took it so hard you can now do deep Knee bends over a fire hydrant. Yes that bad.

Do like others said and get a service manual and or buy the http://www.fixmyhog.com/ video. Proof it pays for itself the first time and you know its done the right way.

If you still are not comfortable performing the maintenance find a reputable Indy in your area. I know of an Indy in Shrewsbury, PA that charges 45.00 an hour and doesnt dick around.

As far as voiding the warranty save you receipts and keep accurate records.

If your anywhere Harford County, MD I'd gladly assist or do it for you for alot less.