General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveler tried out a bagger.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy Traveler tried out a bagger.....

Well,

I have always been a chopper guy at heart. Every bike I've had has been built around that. But, I have for a couple of years thought about how a nice customized bagger might be the thing to have....for doing trips on, but it would have to be cusotmized, at least to some degree.

Well.....I, for the first time, went down and test rode an FL for the first time....an '07 Road Glide.

Impressions? Power wise....WHAT A DOG! I don't want to bash anyone's ride....but a stock 96 incher is WEAK!

Riding along at 55, and want it to pull like my Superglide requires going from 6th gear to 3rd gear!

Seriously, I don't know how you guys can live with a 96 inch stocker.....no way in hell, as far as I'm concerned....to hell with MPG, that bagger would need a minimum of a 107 with heads, cams, everything......I just kept thinking......bike feels like it needs 4-5K in engine mods.....and the redline of 5500 isn't cuttin' it.

Other observations? I'm not a fan of the upright seating position at all, and the road glide fairing with the stock windshield....well the wind is hitting me in the forehead.

So......A bagger for me would require a seat custom made to push me away from the tank so I could actually have legroom, could actually enjoy the windsscreen, and with the weight of the bagger, would need over 100 hp/100 Tq...or might as well just forget it.

I really like the looks of a customized bagger....but I am 6'2, 230 lbs, with long legs....and I want to sit in a bagger, not on top of it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the bagger "livable", please chime in.

I guess I am addicted to my raked and slammed DYNA with it's apes, and hopped up 88, with it all geared down, etc.

(I was really.... seriously going to get a bagger, but now I am kind of bummed out)

Sorry, but I have to have "boot in the ***", move out, power.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 09-27-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

55 mph in 6th gear explains alot of your problem with it......

Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay...but having to drop 3 gears to get the darn thing to move?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe a CVO bagger, like the SE Ultra Classic, or the SE Road King? I think they even have a SE Road Glide this year. Ofcourse they are pricey, very pricey!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like your dyna. I wouldn't trade unless I could have both.

$.02

Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Forget it. You will always be in an upright sitting position on a bagger. The best you can do is to slouch with apes and highway pegs. Just sayin'.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Forget it. You will always be in an upright sitting position on a bagger. The best you can do is to slouch with apes and highway pegs. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I understand....but you can fix it, I'm sure through changing the seat, bars, etc. That seat that was on there was a Corbin, but it was like a stock seat....it was pushing me up against the back of the tank....like it was made for short people to be able to reach the controls or something.

Again, not bashing on anyones ride.....I just think it needs about 50 more horsepower and torque....

Forks felt light as the fairing is frame mounted, but the fairing seemed a little to modern for my tastes personally (seemed like it was 5 feet in front of me, with kinda of a gold wing feeling to it.) Do the batwings on the other electraglides make the frontend feel heavy and sluggish? I know the old FLH style fairings, like what comes on the road king, works well....as I have had those before....just curious.

Right now a base Roak King doesn't sound to bad...but again, the seat etc. makes it too darned cramped!!

~Joe

Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well one of the advantages of a Road King is you can change the look of the bike by removing the windshield and back rest for solo-wind in your face rides, and back to a tour bike for the trips. This is why I bought one, Personally, I just don't care for the fairing, but my friends love them with their radios going. I found the 96 a little doggy when it was stock, but a stage one with the right pipes really does wake it up.MAybe a stage 2 as budget allows? But you are dealing with a bike that weighs more, so it will not have the get up and go of the smaller bikes, but the ride is great and as we get older, I need a comfortable ride vrs having the power of the smaller bikes.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:43 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,616 Likes on 3,436 Posts

Hey Traveler, go easy on other people's bikes. You wouldn't want to be perceived as a bully, would you? We all need to get along here; let's not go "polluting our little corner of the internet" with anything which might be construed as mean-spirited speech. God knows how many sponsors you'd chase away.

(If you're still not getting it, I'm referencing your "To The Moderators" thread).

Old 09-28-2008, 07:46 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Trust me Joe,a bagger can be made to put a smile on your face.Your Dyna was basically the same thing stock.My 2 baggers are a blast,the only weight difference comes from the fiberglass,windshield,and extra lights,not much at all.When I first started riding my 2 hot rods a lot of educations were handed out to those who thought he is riding a bagger, I'll show him! Surprize! Surprize! Dog

Quick Reply: Traveler tried out a bagger.....