General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveler tried out a bagger.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way a cycle can completely satisfy both ends of the market spectrum--bagger comfort and chopper "cool." It's like trying to square the circle. Everything in between involves a compromise one way or the other. You pays your money and takes your pick.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
Hey Traveler, go easy on other people's bikes. You wouldn't want to be perceived as a bully, would you? We all need to get along here; let's not go "polluting our little corner of the internet" with anything which might be construed as mean-spirited speech. God knows how many sponsors you'd chase away.

(If you're still not getting it, I'm referencing your "To The Moderators" thread).
ok...

Does anyone else have any experience with using different seats, bars, etc. that gave you more room?

Does the batwing cause you to fight the wind?

~Joe

Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Buy a mid-late 70s FL frame from Paughco. Drop in an S&S Evo modded to your satisfaction. Select a seat, batwing, bags, and misc parts to suit you. Presto- one bagger. And make the batwing and bags quick-change, slap on another seat, and presto- one cruiser.

Forgot to add - Nothing you can do to a rubber-mount bagger will get you down "in" the bike, except a complete cutting-whacking job on the frame. You can lower the rear suspension, front suspension, change the seat to the thinnest pad available, and with the rubber frame you'd still be "on" the bike.

Last edited by pococj; 09-28-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Cuz.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bwahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!
Well, Joe, those roads out in SoDak, finally got to ya, huh?
BAGGER time.

LMAO, Joe. SAME comments I have had for yrs.
The ONLY bagger I ever rode worth a chit, was the 01 we bought from Earl, 124", Baker 6 spd. Changed out the bars so they stopped getting tangled up with my knees. Had a Zeppelin air seat, not any more room, but could jack my butt up a bit. Tour pak relocator to push it back.
So, where does that leave you, buds?
Scrounge 'round, find a mid to late 90's EVO Ultra, with GOOD chassis. The more miles, the better, read that, CHEAP. Talk to Mac, and get Larry's phone # or PM me. Order yourself one of these, from Larry (Cheap $$) http://www.ultimaproducts.com/thirteen.htm
drop it in, 6 spd if you can afford it. I personally, GUAR-OWN-TEE, you'll be smilin' all the way to Pierre your first day out. Best part, you will require LESS gas per stop, than any bagger you ride alongside. It's just playin' with that bagger, as in, NO work for it.
What do you have into it? WAY LESS than any out the door bagger from a dealer. And you can eat 'rockets' for lunch whilst enjoying the view.
The only thing left, is get those boards out there, where WE have some legroom.
ALL that said, here ya go, Trav.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Oh, yea, one thing, STAY outta 6th til you are REALLY rollin' , as in FAST. They won't pull it. JMFUO, the vast majority of riders are in 6th, way too soon.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 AM
bigbrokah
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
ok...

Does anyone else have any experience with using different seats, bars, etc. that gave you more room?

~Joe
Danny Gray Bigseat
Chubby 502's
Kuryakyn Cruise Arms

I'm 6'2", and have plenty of room.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

joe it seems me and you are having the same problem. i was going to buy a ultra last month for me and the wife to tour on and then i can get really crazy with my streetb0b. but i was totally disaapointed in the ultras seating position, leg room, engine power, same as you. see joe i have even more of a problem with the riders leg room being 6'6 and real long legs with surgically repaired knees, if i could make me some extended fowards controls, that would solve most of the problems, but i can barley fit in the dam thing, let only riding it alll cramped up like that. so me and the wife are bummed out right now, because she loves the room and comfort on the ultra, but i hate the no room i have on the ultra, totally bummed, because i was getting geeked on adding another horse to the barn. jackyl

Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get a cheap compact car. It should have about the same power and even more wind protection and comfort. If you miss the wind in your face just roll down the window. It won't have as much chrome of course but that just means less time cleaning and more time heading out to the highway, looking for adventure and what ever comes your way...

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 09-28-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traveler
ok...

~Joe
I went round and round with my bagger and finally just sold it. Didn't like the upright seating either. Added a C&C solo and that does change the feel of the ride, but then I wasn't comfortable on longer rides, so I got a sundowner with backrest and didn't like that one, went back to stock but felt like I was too close to the bars.

Went from 6" to 12" windshields, had to look through the 12 and didn't like that but the 6 made the buffetting unbearable over 55mph.

Basically just decided it wasn't the bike for me and sold it.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get a softail and put on a radio faring and hard bags. Its lighter you still have the handling and you have a bagger look ( better look imo ) . Or do as i did and put a faring and tour pack on my streetbob :-) . so i can have my bagger and bobber to LOL.

Peace
Ride Safe

Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

I owned an '08 Dyna Low Rider and sold it for an '08 Street Glide. I did notice the lack of "get up and go!" and the added weight between the two bikes. However, I have no regrets. Even with the Bat Wing, the front end on the FL bikes still feels light, including at highway speeds.

I would think, a Head Quarters 107' or 113' kit, coupled with a Harley RallyRunner or SideKick seat and some highway pegs would have you really enjoying the old bagger.

I really miss how powerful the Dyna was with a stage 1, so I will be upgrading the Bagger this winter with one of the above mentioned kits. Hope this info helps.

m.a.c.

Quick Reply: Traveler tried out a bagger.....