General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never rode forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM
vega823
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never rode forward controls

Newbie question -

My first scoot is a Super Glide Custom that I bought in May. Love the mid controls and found that for my size, the balance was perfect. I am curious to test ride another model (possibly Street Glide), but am concerned about the difference between the mids and forward controls. Is it that much different? Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser

i put forwards on my 07 fxd. they felt ok, kind of nice arounds town. however, when i traveled i would get fatiue in my legs and back. i went back to my mids with heel rest and really feel like i'm home again. for me, forward controls were good for about 100 miles..everyone is different. good luck

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

You'll be fine, just takes a little getting used to.

I have mid controls with highway pegs. I feel like I have more control with my feet on the pegs, but when I get uncomfortable I move back to the mid controls. I'll mix it up on and off until I get tired enough to stop and stretch.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Jimbo60
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBlood
You'll be fine, just takes a little getting used to....

+1 - Just be careful at first. Muscle memory will want to make you put your feet where they are used to being and there won't be anything there.

................ Jim

Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

My last bike, an old Virago had mids. My Sportster has forwards. I actually went and visited the friend of mine who I sold the Virago to today. When I owned the Virago I thought it was super comfortable around town on short rides. I hopped on it today and couldn't believe how uncomfortable it felt after being on my Sportie for a while. Personally I don't think I'll have another street bike without forwards.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put forwards on my SG, took 100 mi to get use to them, never will look back! Forwards are the way for me. l.ray

Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 AM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

Depends on how tall you are aswell.. I'm 6'4 so I rly have no choice when it comes to forward controls...Ive had forward controls on my 82 FXR and 07 Street Bob now. When i test rode the street bob with mid controls i was like "yea ok" Maybe someday I will get the 2 or 3 inch extensions for the forward to make myself feel more comfortable, But its all on you w/e u feel most comfortable with

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer

I had forwards on my XL50, and they fatigued my back terribly. I'm a short guy, and I think that made the difference. It felt like I was stretched out way too far. My wife has mids on her 883, and whenever I ride it I am fine, although I haven't ridden it for any distances yet. But I surely wasn't comfortable with the forwards. FWIW, although some say it isn't true, most will tell you that they have better control of the bike with mids.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vega823
Newbie question -

My first scoot is a Super Glide Custom that I bought in May. Love the mid controls and found that for my size, the balance was perfect. I am curious to test ride another model (possibly Street Glide), but am concerned about the difference between the mids and forward controls. Is it that much different? Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
You mention testing a Street Glide, that is different yet. It has floor boards which are totally different from mids or forwards. You probably won't want to go back to pegs after test riding floor boards.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
You mention testing a Street Glide, that is different yet. It has floor boards which are totally different from mids or forwards. You probably won't want to go back to pegs after test riding floor boards.
Personally disagree - my legs are too long, floorboards crane my ankle strange. Some day I'll have a road king, and I'll find a way to convert it to forward pegs

And never, ever, liked the heel shifter. My feet don't fit between the front and rear bar.

Quick Reply: Never rode forward controls