Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last thing you said...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as a LEO on a bike I got to attend many funerals and so many times I heard if only I had, or if we had known, I wish I could have said. I agree live every day as it might be your last and never let loved ones go without saying I love you. 1 day it will be your last, no one gets out alive.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
tshamba
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I got out of the military in 93. I did not have much opportunity to see my family while in the service. My grandfather, who was my world, was sick with Parkinson’s. I headed out that evening to make the 8 hour drive to go see him. I did not call because I wanted to surprise him with breakfast in the morning. He passed over night. We never had our breakfast. I’ve carried that with me ever since. I know for a fact if I had called and he knew I was on my way, he would have been there waiting. That incident changed my life forever. Never take for granted that a loved one will be there tomorrow. Take every opportunity today to say what you would have said tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
DYNA JIM
Road Captain

great post! Sometimes we get so busy with work and life we take alot for granted. Thanks for the reminder of whats really important. Really gave me some perspective

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

Excellent post MidNite, thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM
BuffaloRider
Road Master

This is why I have the Quote that I do at the bottom of my Sig. This is how I live my life. The only one who knows what we have instore is the good Lord above.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lost my Mother last year to brain cancer. She went to California seemingly healthy to watch my sisters kids for a couple weeks and ended up in the hospital with the diagnosis. Two weeks and a surgery later she was home with a very dark future. two weeks after that she was admitted back into the hospital for a seemingly minor complication - 6 hours later she had passed.
All I can say is I'm am so thankful I had that month to be with her and to let her know what a wonderful person she is!t
Like so many others, I was a "there's always tomorrow" kinda guy, but the big guy upstairs let me know fairly gently - that isn't always the case!
And even now I still have to remind myself sometimes that life is fragile and to not take those I love for granted. I tell everyone close to me I love them now, every time we part. You really never know if it'll be your last chance!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM
vega823
Road Master

Thanks to all of you for sharing these important thoughts. There are so many things in life that keep us busy and occupied that it is possible to let the really meaningful things slide. I want the last words that I hear from my wife to be "I love you". 25 years ago, it was like a game - every time we parted, those are the last words at the end of every phone conversation (even if you had to call back right away for something). Now we say it like we mean it. Another "rule" - no pecks, on the cheek or on the lips. A kiss is a kiss and has to be held for at least two seconds. Another silly "rule" I started when my sons were born. We greet each other with a hug. Always. They are so accustomed to it now that they can be with a group of friends and they don't even give it a thought (they are 18 and 20).
I certainly appreciate the frequent safety reminders that we post for each other in this forum, but threads like this really help to keep the priorities straight.
Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife, family, and friends know I love them. [I make sure, cuz I tell them.]

If I do not like someone, I just don't talk to them, period.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,335 Likes on 8,405 Posts

Makes me go Humm. Great post MidNite, I should call my Mother.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great topic and reminder.

I lost my dad when I was 13. He was a workaholic and was trying to keep his business from going under. 7 days a week, most hours of the day. I didn't see him much. I was in grade 8 at my first high school Halloween dance. I came home and he was the only one up, watching some TV. I sat down with him and we talked for a while and I watched some TV with him. The movie got a little "risky" (I think they showed a woman in a bra or something) and he sent me off to bed around midnight. He died later that night. I was the last to see him. I am very thankful I had this chance as there were very few with him.

I need to take heed of the advice on this thread with my wife. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: The last thing you said...