General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIKERS, INC. AKA WRECKEDHARLEYS.COM

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIKERS, INC. AKA WRECKEDHARLEYS.COM

Hello Gang...

First of all, thank you for all your assistance (by simply being here) in my investigation and enlightenment re: Harleys. Its' time to make a selection based on my budget and general tinkering inclinations...

Been thinking about a slightly damaged bike I found at a Fort Lauderdale shop called "Bikers, Inc." aka "WreckedHarleys.com". Has anyone dealt with them, or do any of you have friends who have? My impression is generally good (assuming that I'm taking out what may be a basket case with no guarentee) and I'm accomplished at wrenching on an old Porsche so the prospect of repairs causes me no great worry. My main question is the company's overall reputation and the experiences of others. My luck at buying a pig in a poke has been pretty good, so far. Am I stretching my luck here. The title (of those I'm looking at) could be "assembled from parts" (what ISN"T!!!???) or a totally clean title.

I'm trying to keep within a very limited budget and put some "sweat equity" into the project.

Have done searches on the board here (and gotten lots of good info) but this primary question needed to be asked... Thanks!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Default RE: BIKERS, INC. AKA WRECKEDHARLEYS.COM

I would recommend a bike with a clean title to start with, less hassle in the long run.
I think all Harleys get rebuilt eventually wether they need it or not. look at the bikes on this forum alone.

Just make sure you get something that parts are readily available for and have fun making it yours.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

wreckedharleys.com buys insurance loss bikes at auctions or through contracts with Ins. companies to resell bikes for them. The biggest thing that I can recommend to you is, if you decide to by a wrecked or damaged bike, make sure the frame is not warped and that it has never been in water. You will never be able to get the frame 100% straight again and if it has been in water, forget it.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
William
Tourer

I own a salvage title bike and love it.....
Let me warn you though....
A friend of mine just bought one and when we started tearing it down we found lots of water damage....
well after a week of chasing papers we found out it was in one of the huricanes last year....
the insurance didnt disclose this information willingly only when directly approached about the water damage did they disclose the info....

Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a couple of wrecked "Salvage" title bikes and have had great luck. Sold a couple of them and the guys (friends) that bought them were more than happy with their deals. I'm riding a rebuilt UltraClassic now.

If you have average mechanical abilities, a service manual for the model you bought, and a good source for parts, you'll probably have a great experience and you'll enjoy riding it more because you made it rideable. In Ohio it would be titled as a rebuilt Harley. I'm not sure but I think Florida is similar. The advantage to this is it is still a Harley, with a Harley vin...

Just make sure you look it over good. I think I'd be more prone to buy one that has visible accident damage to avoid the flood bikes.

Check with your insurance company about insuring a rebuilt bike, so you are clear on that. I haven't had a problem with it but it has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.