General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson - EXLAX For The Mind!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mrs Mono loves bikes, the Harley is her fav of all time, she has become a cruiser chick. She understands just how important bikes are for me, she's smart, better me in the garage polishing and cleaning than chasing after young women or rolling home from the pub every night (or so I tell her ). She takes a serious interest when we buy a new one and if she does not like it, we don't buy it, as it is something we do together. She does draw the line with my "shall we get a third bike", but hell no ones perfect

Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 AM
jefnightrain
Tourer

I totally agree. I have not been riding very long, but there is nothing that can take off the edge of a day like a ride in the wind. I used to ride a bicycle a couple of hundred miles a week. great exercise & relaxing, but still a lot of work. When I get on my night train, I can feel the days crap just blowing off my mind. I wonder how a blood preasure reader would read before & after a ride

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

yea your'e not crazy.i do the same thing all the time if i'm not out rideing i'm wipering her down she's good company.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time, all my husband and I did was work like dogs, pay our bills, happily raise our children and take a ONCE a year week long vacation. I have an extremely stressful job and I had no outlet. Then one day we went to the mountains and saw thousands of Harleys with people on them that looked like they left their stress somewhere behind them. We went home and the next Monday was the day we ordered our new Harley. That was in 2001 and we have enjoyed every single minute of riding Harleys ever since. Stressed? All we have to do is get on the bikes and the stress goes away. And we get to do it regularly.....not once a year!

Oh we've come a long way since those stressed days. We are STILL stressed, but we have frequent outlets. EVERYONE needs something like that in their lives. luckily, my husband and I enjoy it together. But if I was not into it, and my husband was, I would be comforted in the fact that it's a great pastime. Lots better than drinkin' and chasin' women and ruining your life in all the ways there is out there to do it.

So you keep wiping that bike down and riding to your heart's content. And so we all will.....what a life it is!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like you are talking about our family.We are a Harley family always have been creeping up on 40 yrs of marriage.The other things that flush the mind for me,are muscle cars,2 cylinder John Deere tractors,and Beer!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Polishing her used to do it for me, now if I have time to polish, I have time to ride. Poor bike, I've changed the oil more than polished her. Don't get me wrong, I can get into this whole "Zen of cleaning" thing. Sitting back, beer in hand, staring at my work with my arms sore as hell. I does refresh the soul.

Then I take an hour long trip into the country at evening time and she's covered with bugs and I think I could have spent 2 hours riding instead!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 AM
08HSTC
Advanced

I agree with all of you! There is nothing much better than riding and letting the wind blow all the troubles away. I got my first HD 3 yrs ago after my father died. He loved bikes but never had his own. My mother didn't like him riding, but for some reason she was ok with me doing it. Every so often, he would take a "test ride" to make sure the bike was operating ok(wink, wink).

I have had metric bikes from the time I was 12. I'm 53 now and HD's will be all I have from here on. I don't know exactly what it is about the wind and the roar of the engine that makes relaxing come on so easily. I've tried to describe it to others but they just don't understand if they don't ride. My wife didn't get it either until she took her first ride with me. As soon as she got off my bike, she said, "I've got to get one of these!" At that point, she understood what I was trying to tell her. I guess you have to be a biker or a rider to understand.....

Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer therapy for the mind. I enjoy riding so much for the 1st time in my life I'm thinking about moving south when I retire so I can ride year round. This no riding for 5 months in Michigan is getting harder and harder to take.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by barjbar
I prefer therapy for the mind. I enjoy riding so much for the 1st time in my life I'm thinking about moving south when I retire so I can ride year round. This no riding for 5 months in Michigan is getting harder and harder to take.
You've got to learn how to enjoy riding in the cold. Electric gloves, plenty of layers of clothes and a face shield, you'd be suprised how you can get another 3 months worth of riding in Michigan.

Nothing takes the blues away like riding on a sunny Saturday and having a car pull up and give you a big thumbs up. This past year I got 1000 miles between November and March.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 AM
vega823
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
My wife seriously gets it. She's an accountant. She's pretty much "retired" for the past 5 years or so, but she still has that bean counter mind going. Everything is organized, everything is planned & scheduled, there are lists & priorities and... she goes 100 mph all day & night, every day. When we got together, I had to teach her to some times take a day to just chill. She has a hard time shutting her brain off.

We got the bike about a month ago. She hadn't ridden before then. From the day she first got on the back, she's wanted to go out every day (and we have, with very few exceptions). She found that, for whatever reason, her brain just shuts down when she's sitting with a Harley between her legs - nothing going on up there but the ride.

So yeah, she not only gets it... she likes it as much as I do. It's a cool thing.

Dude, you KNOW how lucky you are. Good for you!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson - EXLAX For The Mind!!