General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your pump gasoline suck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Does your pump gasoline suck?

Been switchin back and forth trying different brands and even some different additives. I live in a big city (Dallas) so all our pump gas has "up to 10% ethanol" but even worse, its got all that clean burning reformulated oxygenated whateveritis crap in it.

Some highly unscientific observations after 10000mi plus on my current bike a 2003 TC88 EFI bike with Stage 1, 13k miles and premium grade only.

Chevron runs noticeabley better than Exxon, Shell or Fina

Racetrac, runs worse than anything Ive tried, in fact its just bad and caused hesitation and pop back thru intake

Gasoline in rural areas also runs better (not as much EPA mandated crap added), often Shell Premium in rural areas is 91 vs 93 octane?

Additives tested:

RXP, noticable, positive difference

Harley Davidson Fuel treatment, it ran worse! Got half a bottle left anyone want it?

Cal-Products Rocket Fuel, all I can say is dang, a big big difference, engine exhaust note even sounds different but Ive read its not to use in EFI plus their literature talks about some flaky coating residue it leaves to protect piston crown and valve seats? WTF! is it fooling my ECM into running richer?

Ok call me weird but Ive noticed Chevron gasoline even "smells better" too. The Chevron smells like gasoline I ran in the 70s. Not really scientific just my $0.02 I run this thing pretty hard on and off the freeway.

Ok discuss!

(disclaimer: no I dont work for Chevron)

(ps: yes I put my gas cap on the pump while filling up)

Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I always try to run Sunoco (Im in Orange county,NY)There arent that many Chevron stations nearby.
The only real thing Ive noticed is that gas dosent have a long shelf life before it turns to ****.It dosent matter much in a car,but it will screw up a two cylinder motorcycle.With the prices so high,not many use premium gas,and I have filled up with swill one time.I had to drain the tank and the carb bowl just to get it out.
My 06 with fuel injection dosent seem to run any better with one brand over the other.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't run the "10% corn crap" fuel in my vehicles, and where I live you can still get non-blended Conoco or BP.

For the most part I run BP 92 octane non-blended fuel which is available at a local station. Also there are many Conoco stations available in this area where you can get 91+ octane non-blended fuel.

But I guess in many parts of the country it's getting harder to find gas that isn't at least 10% ethanol.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading here (HDF) quite a bit gasoline problems of all types (including no premium available). I would not be surprised that gas quality varies greatly, especially in Texas and the Gulf states. I haven't experienced any noticeable problems in the Phoenix area. I have heard from multiple sources that Chevron is your best bet for all round performance. I use whatever is on the right hand side of the road.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run BP premium in mine. Station less than 2 miles away from home.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

As long as I can get 91 or better, any brand seems to do OK. Below that I'm screwed pretty much

Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed pinging on mid and premium, and it has been mentioned that it may be because at the high prices it sits longer, gas ages fast now. I have noticed a pick-up in mileage with the marine Stabil for ethanol fuels. I use in now in the cold months as there is more humidity/dampness here in the PNW in the winter. I also noticed the bike ('o2 carb Deuce) runs better on Chevron or Shell gas.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
monster fxstc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't noticed that big of a difference between brands. Only brand I won't fill up with is Citgo. With that said, was down in NC this weekend and was forced to fill up with 85octane...the bike never even hiccuped. 08 FXSTC.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

I only wish we could get 93 here in the west. Only 91 here, but I can get by if it is not too hot out.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

The gas up here has been strange all year. I run 93 octane, only Sunoco or Mobile. I try to gas up daily so the tank is never below half. My mileage on the bike and in my truck seems to change weekly even driving the same routes. I think the 10 percent that is required here is not helping gas mileage or performance at all. I try to use stations that are near our colleges. Seems that they are filling the premium grades on a regular basis due to more people still driving cages that take premium.

Quick Reply: Does your pump gasoline suck?