General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your pump gasoline suck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love some of the posts I read on here about rider's "expert" opinions on gasoline. I've been in the petroleum industry for about 10 years and I know a thing or two.

Pretty much all gasoline is the same. The additives in the gas that brand it are the differences.

Now, before I get jumped on...yes a lot of states run what we call E-10 Ethanol gasoline. 10% Ethanol, 90% gasoline.

California is currently running 5-7% Ethanol but will be ramping up to E-10 next year. Chevron is doing this by the end of the year out here. Plus you have to renmember California has stricter mandates on gasoline production. The CARB does things I don't agree with, but hey, thats hippe liberal California.

My best advice is to just ride our Harley, fill up at a brand name station, maybe even as far as company owned station versus dealer and forget about the differences in gas.

Seriously folks.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem here in the Phoenix area, I use 91 octane Chevron which is the highest I can get.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
budnlucy
Tourer

I heard you get worst mileage out of ethanol. Is that true. Also that dirt particals are more boyant. Just some things I heard.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
I love some of the posts I read on here about rider's "expert" opinions on gasoline. I've been in the petroleum industry for about 10 years and I know a thing or two.

Pretty much all gasoline is the same. The additives in the gas that brand it are the differences.

Now, before I get jumped on...yes a lot of states run what we call E-10 Ethanol gasoline. 10% Ethanol, 90% gasoline.

California is currently running 5-7% Ethanol but will be ramping up to E-10 next year. Chevron is doing this by the end of the year out here. Plus you have to renmember California has stricter mandates on gasoline production. The CARB does things I don't agree with, but hey, thats hippe liberal California.

My best advice is to just ride our Harley, fill up at a brand name station, maybe even as far as company owned station versus dealer and forget about the differences in gas.

Seriously folks.
Coherent, lucid posts by knowledgeable people are frowned upon here.

[Eric Idle] "Off with his head"!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ethanol is a *****. It will dry rot rubber gaskets faster, it can't be shipped via pipeline because of it's corrosive capabilities, etc...

But to me the biggest thing is. What, a 1/4 of the world is starving and we're growing corn to make Ethanol for gas? Makes no sense.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
owleyes
Cruiser

I just wish we had any type of gasoline in this area right now....all stations around me have limited supplies and run out about two hours after receiving a fuel drop. Any of you Ga boys having fuel shortages down there?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

South Florida here! In my evo, there is no difference with the way my bike runs with different brands or octane ratings. When traveling on a long trip I use 87 octane. When my bike is to be parked, I put 92 or 93 in it. I try to remember to close my petcock and run all the fuel out of the carb before parking it because of the corrosive nature of the ethanol.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
2glides
Advanced

Got a BP station 5 miles away I use, mostly because of the two little sweeties behind the counter in tank tops. Oh, yeah, the gas, it's 93 octane, no corn. SG does fine on most any gas but the shovel doesn't care much for regular or corn diluted.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by owleyes
I just wish we had any type of gasoline in this area right now....all stations around me have limited supplies and run out about two hours after receiving a fuel drop. Any of you Ga boys having fuel shortages down there?
Amen! LONG waits at the very few stations open in Charlotte. Absolutely NO premium available...

Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM
taylormade
Novice

Originally Posted by owleyes
Gas in Georgia is scarce.

Quick Reply: Does your pump gasoline suck?