General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer takes away parts discount after spending $67,000...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dealer takes away parts discount after spending $67,000...

I know it's common place for a dealership to offer a discount to a customer who has purchased a bike from them. That is ususally considered a courtesy from the dealership to the customer in appreciation for their business.

As far as I know, the discount is ususally a small percentage and ususally has a time limit (maybe a year, tops) (all things just don't last forever). Personally I have never seen a 20% discount (maybe 10% ususally and 15% on rare occasions). 20% is extremely generous. Again, I emphasize GENEROUS. I'm not sure about the reason this guy claims he was cut off altogether...Abusing this shops generosity, perhaps...we may never know. There is always 3 sides to a story. (His, their's and reality).

Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI This is enough reason for that dealer to be kissing this guys a$$ until it's blue. PERIOD!
If you want your a$$ kissed go to a massage parlor. The dealer has the right to make a profit and to regulate discounts. He is in it for the profit just like any American business. The customer, in turn, has the right to shop elsewhere if they don't like it. What's the issue? It's the American way.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

I know it's common place for a dealership to offer a discount to a customer who has purchased a bike from them. That is ususally considered a courtesy from the dealership to the customer in appreciation for their business.

As far as I know, the discount is ususally a small percentage and ususally has a time limit (maybe a year, tops) (all things just don't last forever). Personally I have never seen a 20% discount (maybe 10% ususally and 15% on rare occasions). 20% is extremely generous. Again, I emphasize GENEROUS. I'm not sure about the reason this guy claims he was cut off altogether...Abusing this shops generosity, perhaps...we may never know. There is always 3 sides to a story. (His, their's and reality).

Well Bikergirl40, give Jenni a call at Benjay's Hd (304) 523-1340 and you'll get your 20%. There are quite a few dealers that give 20% discounts. That is part of what HD's business plan is built of.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Well Bikergirl40, give Jenni a call at Benjay's Hd (304) 523-1340 and you'll get your 20%.There are quite a few dealers that give 20% discounts. That is part of what HD's business plan is built of.
Do they give everybody a discount or just if you buy a bike there? Just curious?

Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

Do they give everybody a discount or just if you buy a bike there? Just curious?

Anyone that calls her on the phone. Never been inside their dealership. Bought $600 worth of parts with a 20% discount saved $120. Cost me $16 shipping via UPS. So my net savings were $104.00 can't beat that with a stick.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TM

Anyone that calls her on the phone. Never been inside their dealership. Bought $600 worth of parts with a 20% discount saved $120. Cost me $16 shipping via UPS. So my net savings were $104.00 can't beat that with a stick.
Where is this dealership?

Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like this guy was taking advantage of the dealer. If they offered him a discount and he's passing it along to his friends then the friends have no incentive to buy a new bike from that dealer if they can get a bike elsewhere for a few dollars cheaper.

REMEMBER.....

It doesn't say "Church of Harley Davidson" out front!

The dealer is entitled to make a profit. The MoCo get's their pound of flesh as well in franchising fees, etc..... There are good dealers and there are bad, but there are good customers and bad as well.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

Benjy's Harley-Davidson, Inc
408 Fourth Street
Huntington, WV 25701
(304)523-1340 Fax: (304) 523-5474

Ask for Jenni in parts.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
gasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TM, is my man, he understands the my point well. Business grows business and loyalty. My friend wasn't selling the parts to friends or on e-bay he was getting them his discount because they are his friends just like anyone of us would do for a "FRIEND".

Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: alazlo

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI This is enough reason for that dealer to be kissing this guys a$$ until it's blue. PERIOD!
If you want your a$$ kissed go to a massage parlor. The dealer has the right to make a profit and to regulate discounts. He is in it for the profit just like any American business. The customer, in turn, has the right to shop elsewhere if they don't like it. What's the issue? It's the American way.

Dude.......drop into a Toyota or Lexus dealership sometime and see how they treat you........my Chevy dealership treats me like royalty.....they replaced an $800 exhaust system when it was 4,000 miles past warranty FREE!...Gm sent a $4500 off coupon for a new truck last month........treating customers like they are special is the American way. All the business models used by the Japanese were adopted from US companies 40 years ago. That is why they are so successful. I don't disagree that he has the right to regulate discounts & profit.......but he had a repeat customer who spends $$ in his business and now is so pissed off that his rant made it to this forum. Very very stupid IMO. He could have sat the guy down and explained how he had to lower the discount percentage......maybe even bought the guy a beer and thanked him for his loyalty...and kept him as a customer. And telling the customer that he is special........IS FREE!!! IT COSTS NOTHING!

Quick Reply: Dealer takes away parts discount after spending $67,000...