General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time TRAILERING QUEEN

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time TRAILERING QUEEN

I know I know If you see my bike on a trailer call 911 it's been stolen, welcome to trailer week, yada,yada, yada.

I was invited to go away for the weekend with my buddy in his new 5th wheel toy hauler. He wanted to see how it would haul with two bikes and all our gear. The trip was great, I felt a little weird when bikes passed us and wondered what they were thinking. One HD passing us looked over at us in disgust, shook his head and blasted away. It got me to thinking, he had no idea who I am, no idea how much I ride or have ridden, and no idea why I am trailering. Yes it's true [I] have been that person and I may have to rethink my attitude.
We are trailering to Sturgis next year (usually I ride). it is a 5-6 day trip each way from home (Nova Scotia Canada), we figure two days each way driving straight through with the trailer gives us an extra 6 days there, We only got 3 weeks for whole trip, and I would rather spend my time riding there than running down the interstate. Trailering has its time and place just wondering what you think.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its yours.. do with it what ya want and f*** those that think otherwise. But when I gotta trailer to Phoenix next month I am going to put a fake cast on both arms and slump in the seat. But that is just me.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are as many reasons why people trailer bikes as there are different kinds of bikes. I too have a toy hauler and use it alot because of wife's health. She still likes to ride just can't for as long or as far. I'm just blessed with a wife who has always indulged me in my riding passion and it's the least I can do for her. I never, never give a second thought to what somebody else thinks about me, my toyhauler, and my bike.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jarhead45
But when I gotta trailer to Phoenix next month I am going to put a fake cast on both arms and slump in the seat. But that is just me.
Hehehe! Good one jarhead!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

A toy hauler that's open for all to see the "toys"? Get an enclosed toy hauler.......... sheesh.

Seriously though............ The Sturgis "excuse" does make sense......... I guess.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
There are as many reasons why people trailer bikes as there are different kinds of bikes. I too have a toy hauler and use it alot because of wife's health. She still likes to ride just can't for as long or as far. I'm just blessed with a wife who has always indulged me in my riding passion and it's the least I can do for her. I never, never give a second thought to what somebody else thinks about me, my toyhauler, and my bike.
And then there's the guys who blame it on their wife......... sheesh.

J/K I own a Kendon myself.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Exactly my point, I am guilty of "giving the look" as I pass trailers but will now rethink it. Maybe that trailer I passed has a guy who has been riding for 50 years and just can't do the long miles any more, gotta give him some respect. Although I still wonder when I see two Ultra's being unloaded at a Rally and their plates are from one Province (State) away. But then again I don't know their story. I guess evryone has their reasons and we should respect them

Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,616 Likes on 3,436 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
I know I know If you see my bike on a trailer call 911 it's been stolen, welcome to trailer week, yada,yada, yada.

I was invited to go away for the weekend with my buddy in his new 5th wheel toy hauler. He wanted to see how it would haul with two bikes and all our gear. The trip was great, I felt a little weird when bikes passed us and wondered what they were thinking. One HD passing us looked over at us in disgust, shook his head and blasted away. It got me to thinking, he had no idea who I am, no idea how much I ride or have ridden, and no idea why I am trailering. Yes it's true [I] have been that person and I may have to rethink my attitude.
We are trailering to Sturgis next year (usually I ride). it is a 5-6 day trip each way from home (Nova Scotia Canada), we figure two days each way driving straight through with the trailer gives us an extra 6 days there, We only got 3 weeks for whole trip, and I would rather spend my time riding there than running down the interstate. Trailering has its time and place just wondering what you think.
You forgot "Nice Trailer, *****."

Seriously, if there's a common thread among most of the folks on these forums, it's that living a biker lifestyle means doing your thing and not having to apologize to ANYONE for it. Your point is well taken--I have no idea why someone else might be trailering their bike, and quite frankly, it's none of my business.

It reminds me of something my father taught me when I was learning to drive. One day I got noticeably upset when an old man in front of me was taking way too long to make a turn, or pull away on a green light, or something like that. My dad reminded me that the old man in front of me may well have stormed the beaches at Normandy and helped save the free world for generations to come, including myself. I have never forgotten it, and have never to this day lost my patience with another elderly person. You just never know.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,532 Posts

My brother and I did the same going to Sturgis last year. From the house to sturgis in 24 hrs. straight thru, except gas, and food, usually at the same time. I've also trailered to Biketoberfest in Daytona a couple of times. The only oddball looks I got were from the local yokels in/ around Gainesville, Fl. They don't understand what the whether could do in Mi. in late October. Oh well.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I REALLY don't care what anybody else does, but for me I do love to ride. I can truly say that on 90% of my trips, I go for the ride and NOT the destination. But I understand that is JUST me. Do whatever makes ya happy. I'll see ya on the road, or when ever ya get there.

Quick Reply: First time TRAILERING QUEEN