General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time TRAILERING QUEEN

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this type of trailer (link below). Don't think I paid that much for it though. I've only used it 3 times in 5 years. Great little trailer, tracks nicely.

http://www.kendonusa.com/single_trailer.htm

Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
Seriously, if there's a common thread among most of the folks on these forums, it's that living a biker lifestyle means doing your thing and not having to apologize to ANYONE for it. Your point is well taken--I have no idea why someone else might be trailering their bike, and quite frankly, it's none of my business.

It reminds me of something my father taught me when I was learning to drive. One day I got noticeably upset when an old man in front of me was taking way too long to make a turn, or pull away on a green light, or something like that. My dad reminded me that the old man in front of me may well have stormed the beaches at Normandy and helped save the free world for generations to come, including myself. I have never forgotten it, and have never to this day lost my patience with another elderly person. You just never know.
you have a wise Dad

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
One HD passing us looked over at us in disgust, shook his head and blasted away.
Disgust? Man, that's pretty harsh.

I've got a fifth wheel toy hauler...Which means I've got my own bed, bathroom, kitchen, living room, TV, stereo, and garage filled with Harley's.

What's the option? Sleep on the ground in a tent? Been there done that and I can afford not to. Hotels give me the creeps.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't sweat it BlueNoser, last time I mentioned trailering the key board commandos jumped all over me. I called the entire forum out to a ride and not a single PM. I really don't think 1/2 these jokers are even remotely dedicated to actually riding.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

You hit on the one big reason to trailer to an event that is a long distance away. With two or more drivers, you can drive straight through and have much more time at the event.

My son and I did Chicago to L.A. in 40 hours.

I go to Sturgis every year and ride it 80% of the time. Every now and then, I like to have my heated and air conditioned toy hauler to stay in instead of the tent. Next year it's the toy hauler. This year my tent was crushed by the high winds. That happened in 06 also.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey....lots of times our bikes are trailer queens when we are going to a destination with our motorhome and bikes. Does not phase us in the least. We are very fortunate to be able to live this lifestyle and stuff like that is not something we want to spend much time worrying about. You bought your bike to ride of course, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Go now....have fun and don't worry about it.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

the day i start worrying about what somebody else thinks. that is the day i will quit living i agree with the most of you nobody knows that thru alot of years how much i have rode.and it really none of there business.and the fact they should worry about then selfes and not what others do.some of these people longest ride is to the local watering hole for bike night. but that is there choice. and i will make my own choices.most have alot of rideing to do to even get close to the 51 years of rideing that i have done and still do.i just dont beat myself up like i did some years back and use my head alittle more than i did when i was younger.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly my point, I am guilty of "giving the look" as I pass trailers but will now rethink it. Maybe that trailer I passed has a guy who has been riding for 50 years and just can't do the long miles any more, gotta give him some respect. Although I still wonder when I see two Ultra's being unloaded at a Rally and their plates are from one Province (State) away. But then again I don't know their story. I guess evryone has their reasons and we should respect them
Close, not 50, but 42 yrs for me, 43 for the scoot. And 'no', just can't do more than 400 or so on a 'hardtail' @ 56. But I CAN still do 400. Any takers???
I still remember the first time I trailered to Sturgis. Tried to 'slink' in afta dark. Got up next morn, in pulls a one ton dually, with a trailer. Heritage and Ultra, Nebr. plates, and they must have been ALL of 35 yrs old. I show up AND unload in the daylight, now.
IF you don't care for that, LOOK the other direction 'til the Ol' Fart gets it unloaded, and starts kickin'. Then you'll be standin' 'round watchin', jus' like the rest of 'em. See ya on the 'other' end.

And here it is:

Silly yuppie, Trailers are for boats!!!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To each his own and I certainly understand age/health-related reasons, but one reason I hear a lot and I do not understand it. I can drive straight through and spend 2-3 more days in Sturgis, Daytona, etc. What about the ride? For me, the ride there is much more important than being at the location wandering between vendors and drunks.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of the people here on this site also judge people without knowing anything about them....I try my best not to....every now and then i slip up.....but not so much anymore
It got me to thinking, he had no idea who I am, no idea how much I ride or have ridden, and no idea why I am trailering. Yes it's true [i] have been that person and I may have to rethink my attitude.

Quick Reply: First time TRAILERING QUEEN