General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shed size for a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
mackcr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 12 x 16 with two doors that I keep my HD in; I put up a divider stud wall with peg board, one side is for mower and tools with the other side reserved for the bike.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot about city bylaws. Check out this quote from the building permits website ...

"A building permit is not required for a detached accessory structure, which measures less than 10m2. (108 sq. ft.) in area."

10m2 = 10 square metres = 1077 square feet. The chick at the building permit office laughed when I pointed this error out to her. She is going to call me back tomorrow. I assume that I can build a detached structure of a maximum of 108 square feet - 10' x 10' it will have to be.

I can store my bike in an attached garage for the winter. I would be very leary about using bike covers in changing weather. My info is 25 years old but covers always seemed to drip moisture back onto the bike. Maybe they have improved.

I owned a 1980 Low Rider - came stock with dual disks on the front, oil cooler, tool bag, and sissy bars with a small bag. I rode 6,000 miles across Canada on that baby, riding through a snow storm at the top of the Rockies during the third week of July. I hope to do it again in 2010 on a 2009 Low Rider. No windshield, no back rest, just a couple saddle bags and a sleeping bag rolled up under the headlight. I miss the 70's.

Thanks, Barry

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krwould
Yep 10x12 would be the smallest I would go! Your going to need a place for old parts when you start mods!
+1 and it gives you room to work on it.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
I forgot about city bylaws. Check out this quote from the building permits website ...

"A building permit is not required for a detached accessory structure, which measures less than 10m2. (108 sq. ft.) in area."
So how much is the building permit? I had a friend that was worried about the same thing. Even tried to find a loophole by having the shed on a skid so it wouldn't be considered a structure.
He finally gave in and went to buy the permit, I think it was like $20.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I know building permits here vary on what the permit is for, if you are stick building a structure it would be based on cost.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Over the years I have been able to squeeze my old rigids into really small sheds but a couple years back I moved to a new place and didn't have the money to build a garage. I left all my old bikes at my kid's houses and kept the rider with me. It was a 93 softail. I was able to get it into a 8' X 10' shed. Just backed her in at an angle. Just remeber that moisture can be a big problem in a shed.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

I just put one of those ez build shed kits up 8 x 12. Well the "ez" part is crap. You might want to check into the prebuilt sheds to save yourself some trouble that is if you are like me and not really that constructionaly inclined. Anyway I went with the 8 x 12 but it is just for my bike as I have another shed that holds all my other out door toys. If you are planning on putting a cement floor in as I did I got a good idea from the forum for security. When you pour the floor get a large eye bolt and put in in the cement before it sets to have a place to chain your bike to.

Later,
Joe

Attached Thumbnails Shed size for a Harley?-mod-1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
I am about to purchase a new Harley but I do not have a garage and it is not practical for me to build one. Instead, I am going to buy one of those pre-fab wood sheds. I was wondering about the minimum shed size for storing and working on a Harley.

Most Harley's are about 92 inches in length. An 8 foot shed is 96 inches in length minus 7 inches for the 2x4 studs and a couple more inches for outside wood. Minimum shed length would have to be 10 feet (no 9 foot pre-fab sheds). This would allow me to drive my bike into the shed, park my front tire against the far wall and have about 2 feet of free space behind me.

How wide is a Harley on a kick stand? Maybe 3 feet? A 3 foot wide Harley in the center of an 8 foot shed would result in a little less than 2.5 feet of free space on either side of the bike - probably not enough room to work. A 10 foot wide shed would result in 3.5 feet of space on either side of the bike. So I plan to buy a 10' x 10' shed and erect it at the end of my concrete driveaway.

What is the best way to secure the love of my life? Install a flush mounted floor anchor into the concrete directly under the parked chassis?

Thanks, Barry
All great concerns and questions. I recently built an addition on the side of my garage (10x14) with a slanted roof going with the pitch of the gambrel style roof that was on the main garage. I made it a sliding garage door because its a sidecar bike. And a cement pad with a heavy duty eye bolt cemented into the floor to the rear/ center of the floor.

Its an economy deal but if I had the money the bigger the better. I use a solar panel to keep the battery charged and motion sensor lites and dogs.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by will2002
My HOG barn is 25'x30'. I do however have 2 bikes and a few tools in it. I did have a lot of tools but I dont know what happen to them!
Wife says "I'll just use his ..."
Kids say "Get dads ..."
Dad say "Where are my tools?"

Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Not to mention space for a small cot for when your OL thinks you love the bike more than her......... you may have to sleep out there on occasion.

Bike? Wife? Ahhhhhh let's see now....

Or just think what your wife would do for you if you rubbed her the way you rub your bike

Quick Reply: Shed size for a Harley?