General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is lane-splitting OK in Oklahoma ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Splitting lanes in Oklahoma is illegal, as already stated. What wasn't stated is; even if it were legal, I sure wouldn't do it on these roads!!! You're bound to drop off in a pothole, never to be seen again.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,609 Likes on 3,879 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Splitting lanes in Oklahoma is illegal, as already stated. What wasn't stated is; even if it were legal, I sure wouldn't do it on these roads!!! You're bound to drop off in a pothole, never to be seen again.
Yeah, I noticed that the seams between lanes here are deep and wide.

Hell, some of the craters in the MIDDLE of the lanes are really bad.

When I rode into the state a couple of weeks ago, there was a lane closure in I-40 west of OKC, and there was actually a sign that said "MOTORCYCLISTS USE CAUTION". I'd NEVER seen a sign like that, so it sure got my attention ! Now I'm wondering what the problem was.

Originally Posted by catfishcurtis
I'm at every home game at Norman and can assure yuo game day traffic can be brutal
on Hwy 9 and also on I-35, stay in west Norman(west of I-35) and traffic is not bad at
all. Better yet come on down to the campus corner area and enjoy gameday, youll see
a few bikes too. You can park in a bicycle/motorcycle spot on the corner of Boyd
street near campus right in front of a store called Harolds. I'll be there along with 90
thousand of my closest freinds, can't take the bike though, Momma and 2 teenagers
just can't fit on the back of the heritage.
I'm not sure where I'm going to be on Saturday, but I am kinda curious about the OU rush. People around here sure are into college football. I've been stuck in a car twice in this traffic a couple of years ago, and I vowed to avoid it. But it's probably not too bad once the game starts, and if I'm around town, I may wander down that way since I'll be on the bike instead of a car. If you see a Black Pearl Road Glide with a TourPak with California plates, it MAY be me. Flag me down and I'll buy you a beer.

To everyone else who offered advice, thanks. Now I need to find out why the instructor here told me that lane-splitting is legal......

Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Yeah, I noticed that the seams between lanes here are deep and wide.

Hell, some of the craters in the MIDDLE of the lanes are really bad.

When I rode into the state a couple of weeks ago, there was a lane closure in I-40 west of OKC, and there was actually a sign that said "MOTORCYCLISTS USE CAUTION". I'd NEVER seen a sign like that, so it sure got my attention ! Now I'm wondering what the problem was.

They have a really bad habit of deeply grooving the road before laying the top layer on it. A motorcycle can get really squirrely on them if not careful.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

( the 'OK' pun was intended )

I don't want to get into the goods and bads of lane-splitting. I very seldom do it, even in California where it is not illegal and often the only way to keep my bike from over-heating.

But I'm in Oklahoma for a couple more weeks. I hear that when OU has a football game, traffic is a nightmare here in Norman. There is a game in town this weekend. I was passed by a guy on a sportbike yesterday in a construction lane-closure bottleneck, but technically he still had a few feet of his lane left. I was just taking my turn to move over like I was in a car, just as I nearly always do on my bike.

I've also not seen anyone on a bike splitting up to the front of the line at a red-light.

I'm going to go out on my bike this weekend-that much I know. I'll try to avoid the game traffic.

But if I get caught in traffic, is lane-splitting illegal ?
Why the hell would you be riding around game time? You should be worshiping the Sooners before, during and after the game.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM
catfishcurtis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope to see you around..............BOOOOOOMER

Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

( the 'OK' pun was intended )

I don't want to get into the goods and bads of lane-splitting. I very seldom do it, even in California where it is not illegal and often the only way to keep my bike from over-heating.

But I'm in Oklahoma for a couple more weeks. I hear that when OU has a football game, traffic is a nightmare here in Norman. There is a game in town this weekend. I was passed by a guy on a sportbike yesterday in a construction lane-closure bottleneck, but technically he still had a few feet of his lane left. I was just taking my turn to move over like I was in a car, just as I nearly always do on my bike.

I've also not seen anyone on a bike splitting up to the front of the line at a red-light.

I'm going to go out on my bike this weekend-that much I know. I'll try to avoid the game traffic.

But if I get caught in traffic, is lane-splitting illegal ?

If you are a hog member look in your road map book, first or second page

Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's never OK to do it just pisses people off and makes them want to get even with bikers.
Don't be an AHOLE wait your turn!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
It's never OK to do it just pisses people off and makes them want to get even with bikers.
Don't be an AHOLE wait your turn!!!
I always wait, and shut down the engine if necessary. Actually, I'm usually too chicken to do it anyway. I like my mirrors just where thy are.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This should anwser your question with the specific section of Oklahoma Law. Lane sharing would fall under this same section, both being illegal in Oklahoma. Just as aside note this section also cover the maximun height of handlebars, ape hangers, in Oklahoma they are limited to 12 inches from the mounting point.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...9+608+291+290+
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 40
Highway Safety Code Ancilliaries
Section 40-103 - Motorcycles Or Motor Scooters - Passengers - Sidewalks - Handlebars - Holding To Moving Vehicles - Passing.

SupercededSupercededSuperceded
Effective: 11/01/2003
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

No driver of a two-or-three wheel motor vehicle or bicycle shall carry any other person on, upon or within such vehicle on any street or highway in the State of Oklahoma, except as hereinafter provided; provided, however, that if any two-or-three wheel motor vehicle with a wheel diameter of twelve (12) inches or greater or any bicycle shall have either a double seating device with double foot rests or a side car attachment providing a separate seat space within such side car attachment for each person riding therein so that such person shall be seated entirely within the body of said side car, then it shall be permissible for an operator who has attained the age of sixteen (16) or older to carry a passenger. A demonstration ride by a licensed dealer or his employee is excepted from the provisions hereof. No motorcycle or motor scooter shall be ridden upon any sidewalk of any city or town in this state. Handlebars on motorcycles and motor scooters shall not exceed twelve (12) inches in height, measured from the crown or point of attachment. No rider of a motorcycle or motor scooter shall hold to any moving vehicle for the purpose of being propelled. No driver of a motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle shall pass other vehicles in between lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction, authorized emergency vehicles excepted.
Historical Data

Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,609 Likes on 3,879 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
........wait your turn!!!
I would wait my turn to go where they're going.

But I'm going somewhere else.

Originally Posted by tlb
This should anwser your question with the specific section of Oklahoma Law. Lane sharing would fall under this same section, both being illegal in Oklahoma. Just as aside note this section also cover the maximun height of handlebars, ape hangers, in Oklahoma they are limited to 12 inches from the mounting point.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...9+608+291+290+
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 40
Highway Safety Code Ancilliaries
Section 40-103 - Motorcycles Or Motor Scooters - Passengers - Sidewalks - Handlebars - Holding To Moving Vehicles - Passing.

SupercededSupercededSuperceded
Effective: 11/01/2003Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

No driver of a two-or-three wheel motor vehicle or bicycle shall carry any other person on, upon or within such vehicle on any street or highway in the State of Oklahoma, except as hereinafter provided; provided, however, that if any two-or-three wheel motor vehicle with a wheel diameter of twelve (12) inches or greater or any bicycle shall have either a double seating device with double foot rests or a side car attachment providing a separate seat space within such side car attachment for each person riding therein so that such person shall be seated entirely within the body of said side car, then it shall be permissible for an operator who has attained the age of sixteen (16) or older to carry a passenger. A demonstration ride by a licensed dealer or his employee is excepted from the provisions hereof. No motorcycle or motor scooter shall be ridden upon any sidewalk of any city or town in this state. Handlebars on motorcycles and motor scooters shall not exceed twelve (12) inches in height, measured from the crown or point of attachment. No rider of a motorcycle or motor scooter shall hold to any moving vehicle for the purpose of being propelled. No driver of a motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle shall pass other vehicles in between lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction, authorized emergency vehicles excepted.
Historical Data
Thank you.

Is that why they don't have shoulders on the roads here ? j/k

Quick Reply: Is lane-splitting OK in Oklahoma ?