General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical side-mount license plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
captain m
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertical side-mount license plates

A friend of mine got fined for having a vertical license plate mount on his bike the other day in Mass.The officer told him that the plates weren't made that way so they are illegally mounted.Is this true of other states? It's too bad that with all the options we have for plates(POW,vanity,etc)that we can't get vertically numbered plates.I realize that the cost of retooling would come into play and the price for such an option might be high but it sure would make things a little easier on all parties involved......Any thoughts?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by captain m
A friend of mine got fined for having a vertical license plate mount on his bike the other day in Mass.The officer told him that the plates weren't made that way so they are illegally mounted.Is this true of other states? It's too bad that with all the options we have for plates(POW,vanity,etc)that we can't get vertically numbered plates.I realize that the cost of retooling would come into play and the price for such an option might be high but it sure would make things a little easier on all parties involved......Any thoughts?
I have one on the rigid, they haven't said anything to me yet but there are lot of guys running customs in PA with those style plate holders.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by krwould
I have one on the rigid, they haven't said anything to me yet but there are lot of guys running customs in PA with those style plate holders.
KR if you don't mind, what's the make on that plate holder, I like it? Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
SAS
Tourer

They are illegal in PA. The COC is trying to get them passed as being legal but it is a battle with the state.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
krwould
Club Member

Off the top of my head I don't remember but Dennis Kirk and JP Cycles both sell them and the tailight is seperate. The mounting was welded to the frame at the time of it was built to accomadate the bolt up.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by SAS
They are illegal in PA. The COC is trying to get them passed as being legal but it is a battle with the state.
Hmmm...like I said I haven't had any trouble....knock on wood....here locally, the cops don't seem to interested in hasseling us. I would bet that they would if you were out "attracting attention" to yourself like I did once on a recon titled rigid I had built in the 70's. The cop pulled me over for speeding which I couldn't argue because I didn't have a speedo and when his twin showed up he started giving me a hard time about the rear fender and little bs that he wanted to pick on! When it was all said and done I got the speeding ticket from the cop who originally pulled me over and since I went through the trouble of a recon title back then he talked his twin into calming down and taking a walk!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
krwould
Club Member

Sorry MM I can't even look it up for ya because I am at work!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a state by state issue. BUT jus' like 'apes' in SoDak, it is rather arbitrarily enforced. I run SoDak, alot (my 'home' state) The ONLY time I have been 'hassled for handlebars is during Sturgis. Can you say, "cash cow"?
IMFUO, the thing is to KEEP these off the books, rather than to GET these off the books. Get involved with ABATE, or other 'lobbying' orgs. STAY AWAKE, and show up when the legislature is proposing these laws.
Change is 'effected' by those that 'show up'. .02

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
krwould
Club Member

well said Gump!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
captain m
Road Master

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
It's a state by state issue. BUT jus' like 'apes' in SoDak, it is rather arbitrarily enforced. I run SoDak, alot (my 'home' state) The ONLY time I have been 'hassled for handlebars is during Sturgis. Can you say, "cash cow"?
IMFUO, the thing is to KEEP these off the books, rather than to GET these off the books. Get involved with ABATE, or other 'lobbying' orgs. STAY AWAKE, and show up when the legislature is proposing these laws.
Change is 'effected' by those that 'show up'. .02
Thanks for the info,I'll check in with the MMA .

Quick Reply: Vertical side-mount license plates