General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety an argument for louder exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
geeded
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think no, not much, but I think an air horn and pulsating headlight will do a lot more...and not make you lose your hearing. YMMV

I get tired explaining to people that the HD does not come from the factory sounding like a Cummings diesel w/o a muffler. They always seem surprised.....Just sayin'

cheers, geeded

Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
geeded
Cruiser

I think no, not much, but I think an air horn and pulsating headlight will do a lot more...and not make you lose your hearing. YMMV

I get tired explaining to people that the HD does not come from the factory sounding like a Cummings diesel w/o a muffler. They always seem surprised.....Just sayin'

cheers, geeded

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalton
best defense to this one is knowing you are in the cars blindspot and planning for the driver to do something stupid, to have an "out" if the car does try to squeeze over. You need to plan, to prepare and to have room to react at all times when riding.

Loud pipes give you none of that. These loud pipe threads come around at least a couple of times a year and generate a huge debate. I like the sound that my 120 beats out while riding, but there is no way i rely on it, or even believe that the exhaust makes it any safer while riding.

Flame away !!!! If you really believe that the pipes are gonna save your azz, you are eventually in for a rude awakening.
++1 l.ray

Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

A Cummins diesel without a muffler sounds like a sick tractor or forklift.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 AM
GBeck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-Scientific Testing in Germany

I work and ride in Germany where the decibel limit is about 20 below my Samson Baloney Cuts and, while a subjective assessment, I have noticed many heads (in buttoned up cages) turning to see what the hell is passing them. Granted the German's are crazy logical drivers (zipper merging and left lane only passers) but there are plenty of third world drivers mixing things up on the autobahns at 120MPH. An accident here usually means permanent injury or death, so I'd rather risk a ticket from the polizei than getting run down.

Oh, one safety message: Wear earplugs if you value your hearing. I ride about 1000 miles a month, mostly wearing a half-helmet. The wind is a major hearing killer, not to mention the sound pounding out of the pipes. As a pilot I need to pass tough hearing exams, but I believe we all need to preserve our hearing.

Ride safe, ride hard!

GB

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by GBeck
I work and ride in Germany where the decibel limit is about 20 below my Samson Baloney Cuts and, while a subjective assessment, I have noticed many heads (in buttoned up cages) turning to see what the hell is passing them. Granted the German's are crazy logical drivers (zipper merging and left lane only passers) but there are plenty of third world drivers mixing things up on the autobahns at 120MPH. An accident here usually means permanent injury or death, so I'd rather risk a ticket from the polizei than getting run down.

Oh, one safety message: Wear earplugs if you value your hearing. I ride about 1000 miles a month, mostly wearing a half-helmet. The wind is a major hearing killer, not to mention the sound pounding out of the pipes. As a pilot I need to pass tough hearing exams, but I believe we all need to preserve our hearing.

Ride safe, ride hard!

GB
Know exactly what you mean about the autobahn Glenn. Give a shout if you ever get over toward AMS Used to work for LH years ago and didn't live too far from Wiesbaden. Go to Cochem and Lauenförde (Löwenherz) a lot - haven't been stopped for loud pipes yet but have had several warnings

Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had drag pipes for ever, from like 20 something to 40 something because I liked the sound. Now 50 something I want to get in and out as quietly as possible, that and eliminating johnny lwa dogs excuses for pulling me over. Many municipalities are clamping down on straight ipes anyways. Here they do a deciple check. Safety factor? Well they(cages) may say that they can't see you but MF'er they will hear you!