General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Bad Day!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:26 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

Most dealers I've run into say they don't work on pre-evo.Now they don't work on evo? Could it be that dealers have had it so good in the last 8 years or so that they can be so choosey?

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:31 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member

A business licensed by Harley Davidson to sell and service Harley Davidson should service all Harley Davidson. The fact that some dealers won't pisses me off and it shouldn't happen.

Old 09-25-2008 | 10:53 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

I've heard that kinda thing 'bout some shops out there. Our local shop has a few "old timers" on the roster that'll work on 'bout anything Harley's ever made. I personally know of one Pan they rebuilt. I guess a lotta shops are only goin where the steady money is.

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:27 PM
ericridebike
|
Advanced

So got the rest of the bad news. So the starter did need replacing, but only because the primary belt "disentegrated" & all the pieces went into the starter, etc... He also said it looked like somebody had put the wrong size(way too small) primary belt on & also it looked like there was previous damage inside the primary & ?clutch basket. He said it looked like from where a bolt or something bounced around in there, but said there were no metal shavings, so looked to be old & just put back together to get it running. So I'm gonna end up replacing the starter & also getting a new primary drive. He said it will be cheaper to do that than replacing/repairing the existing parts. So kinda got screwed a little when I bought the bike. I guess it could be worse!

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:39 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ericridebike
So got the rest of the bad news. So the starter did need replacing, but only because the primary belt "disentegrated" & all the pieces went into the starter, etc... He also said it looked like somebody had put the wrong size(way too small) primary belt on & also it looked like there was previous damage inside the primary & ?clutch basket. He said it looked like from where a bolt or something bounced around in there, but said there were no metal shavings, so looked to be old & just put back together to get it running. So I'm gonna end up replacing the starter & also getting a new primary drive. He said it will be cheaper to do that than replacing/repairing the existing parts. So kinda got screwed a little when I bought the bike. I guess it could be worse!
Sorry to hear that the guy you purchased it from, let it go in that condition.
Did you know you had a belt drive? I happen to have BDL belt drives on both mine. When I put the 78 on the rode this summer, it was eating a belt in less than 100 miles.
FINALLY discovered the ring gear was NOT seated properly on clutch basket, and would eat threw belt. Like you, previous owner install.
And that is EXACTLY how one 'coasts' to stop.
Are you going back to chain?
I'm curious for my own knowledge, what belt drive did you have, that the indy thought was the wrong size? I'm running 1 1/2" - 8mm.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:29 PM
ericridebike
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Sorry to hear that the guy you purchased it from, let it go in that condition.
Did you know you had a belt drive? I happen to have BDL belt drives on both mine. When I put the 78 on the rode this summer, it was eating a belt in less than 100 miles.
FINALLY discovered the ring gear was NOT seated properly on clutch basket, and would eat threw belt. Like you, previous owner install.
And that is EXACTLY how one 'coasts' to stop.
Are you going back to chain?
I'm curious for my own knowledge, what belt drive did you have, that the indy thought was the wrong size? I'm running 1 1/2" - 8mm.
Yeah, I knew it had a belt primary, but wasn't sure of the brand/make. I'm gonna stay with a belt drive I think, but hopefully it will be installed correctly this time. He said it was hard to tell for sure what size it was cause it was chewed up so bad, but the biggest piece looked to be 3/4". Yeah, it's really frustrating that someone would pass that off on someone like that. So, hopefully I'll be back on the road again soon. Barring no further surprises!