General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Bad Day!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008 | 08:25 PM
vtnightster
Tourer

I'll take that to mean they won't take "old" bikes on trade or sell em either. Seems strange.
Not the case in my world.

Old 09-19-2008 | 10:31 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

That dealership probably had young wrenchers that never worked on the older engines. Damn, it's still an overhead valve engine. You'd think it was the wankel. kudos to Widowmakers, and the people who stopped to offer help.

Old 09-20-2008 | 12:50 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Most Harley dealers are not going to work on evo motors because their mechanics are trained on twinkies. Too many evo owners realized that the dealers were too expensive for service and do it themselves or have an indy do it. If you don't believe me just ask your dealer next time you're buying a tshirt.

Old 09-20-2008 | 01:19 AM
murd
Road Warrior

I think it's pathetic that a dealership wouldn't stand behind any product it had manufactured. I'm very sorry to hear this, however, it's great to hear what kind of support you received from your local Indy. This is the guy that deserves the business and it sounds like he has a good handle on customer service. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. We pay big cash for these machines whether it was purchased in 2008 or 1986 and we should be entitled to proper service.

Whew, that was a bit much.. didn't mean to get so serious.

Old 09-24-2008 | 05:11 PM
ericridebike
|
Advanced

So turns out the starter is dead. So getting that replaced & hopefully that will be the only problem!

Old 09-24-2008 | 05:27 PM
tseek555
Road Master

SOOOO, was the orignial problem(loss of power) caused by the starter? I know starters go bad, but never heard of one causing a problem while the engine is running.

Old 09-24-2008 | 10:00 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Hmmm..I was thinkin' the same thing. No wonder the dealers won't work on an Evo with strange stuff like that happenin'.

Old 09-25-2008 | 01:12 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master

Originally Posted by ericridebike
Mine's been rebuilt & it has an 80 inch Harley EVO in it now. ...
cool, so you ditched an 88ci twin cam engine and replaced it with a 80ci Evo engine? interesting choice. that seems like a really odd decision.

so did the evo engine bolt right in, or did you have to mod the engine mounts on the frame to get it to fit? why did you go with a smaller evo engine anyway?

Old 09-25-2008 | 07:07 AM
ericridebike
|
Advanced

I actually bought the bike like that. Wasn't able to get a whole lot of info from the previous owner(he really didn't know much about it) cause he only had it very briefly. The guy before him actually had it built. The guy working on it for me said we would replace the starter & then he would troubleshoot from there.

Old 09-25-2008 | 07:49 AM
TideRKC
Tourer

It's a shame that the dealer doesn't know how to work on your bike but I would rather have them tell me that they didn't know how that to work on something that they really don't know how.

Quick Reply: My Bad Day!