General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions

I have been riding bikes for over 15 years. I started late in life around 30. What I am constantly amazed at, is that everytime I tell a person that "I ride", they are so quick to tell me about a story about someone that they knew who was either killed or injured riding a motorcycle. Of course this person was a "friend of a friend" or a far removed relative. I am not quite sure why people do this, but it is starting to wear on me and my family! Of course their follow-up question is, "Do I wear a helmet?" . . . Any good suggestions on how to handle this? Of course, everytime my wife, or children hear the response from one of these people, they all get concerned.

Thanks

Scott

Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
zzrider
Cruiser
Default RE: First Impressions

When they do that then ask them to tell you all the people they know who have been killed or injured in an automobile accident.

People are scared of the unknowen....and for some reason they are thrilled and at the same time scared of bikes.....

Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear it all of the time. When someone reads in the paper that 50 people got killed in car wrecks over the weekend they just skip over it. But one person gets killed on a bike and all I hear is "those things are so dangerous" Can't figure it out.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received all this rubbish when my wife treated me to a Softail Heritage for my 50th Birthday last year. All of a sudden all of our friends & relatives started going on about why did you let him have it ! they are dangerous! Why dosen't he act his age which really winds me up so I react with :-

What do you expect me to do at the age of 50 ? Hobble around on a zimmer frame be incontinent, dribble and constantly crap my pants ? That usually shuts them up !

When I ride I feel such freedom and exhilaration which is hard to describe in words and I have heared from quite a few old folk when I park up who now regret not doing as we do !

Lets face it if you worry about getting killed all of the time you might as well stay in bed and wait for the roof to cave in on you !!!!

Ride Safe

Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I get the same thing being almost 65. People say "You're too old to be riding that thing." I just tell them I know it, but you have to have something to do in your second childhood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/82FADE6B0C884BDDAA9C433BF187AEBA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
carsoni
Tourer

PWHOG, I turned 50 this year, bought my first HD, and RETIRED!. my younger brother asked what are you gonna do for the next 30 years? I said anything I feel like, anytime I feel like doing it.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
mrbuster
Advanced

Imagine that, to old, to dangerous. I’m 50. My kids are on their own with their own kids now. I had a living will made not just due to the bike, I drive a car, I climb stairs, I hunt, and I fish from a boat. I did that so I didn’t put my family at odds. Their all well aware this is my choice. When it’s your time, it’s your time. Till then, work hard / play hard.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
PWHOG
Road Master

Life begins at 50 ! Kids left home, HD in the Garage, well paid job, 30 year pension being paid from last job so plenty of disposable income.

Now what else can I change on the old gal ?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:46 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: fatboy4ever

I have been riding bikes for over 15 years. I started late in life around 30. What I am constantly amazed at, is that everytime I tell a person that "I ride", they are so quick to tell me about a story about someone that they knew who was either killed or injured riding a motorcycle. Of course this person was a "friend of a friend" or a far removed relative. I am not quite sure why people do this, but it is starting to wear on me and my family! Of course their follow-up question is, "Do I wear a helmet?" . . . Any good suggestions on how to handle this? Of course, everytime my wife, or children hear the response from one of these people, they all get concerned.

Thanks

Scott
Same stuff I hear about snakes. I raised them for years. Kept venomous and non. Everybody who found out always had a story of someone they knew that found or was bitten by this or that and all the other myths you hear about. I know they were just trying to make conversation so I be kind to them[:@] and I'm sure I probably do the same thing when a conversation is about something I know nothing about.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4722/04E03EEEFCF84B4EB492D480EE1993BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

I hear this all the time. I ask them was the person clowning on the motorcycle, was it a HD or a Rice Rocket, was it at night, was the guy drinking. When the answer I do know I politely ask them to gather all the fact before just telling the outcome. Then my classic line is that more people die from cigarette, automobiles, cancer, and drugs then on motorcycle.

Quick Reply: First Impressions