Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle beach update

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
classic53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle beach update

Hey everybody,
Just read this at myrtle beach online. I don't know if its official or not, but here's the article:

Coastal Alliance cities, in conjunction with County Council and Motorcycle Event promoters, have developed a plan that will allow Biker Rallies to continue AND give the month of May back to coastal residents of Horry County.

All 600 biker rally vendor permits will be renewed and located at the Loris Fairgrounds on US 701 just south of Loris in the community of Gurley. This will draw 300,000 bikers away from the coast and allow those towns to return to a family resort atmosphere in May. It will also give the economically depressed communities between Conway and Loris a huge financial boost worth tens of millions of dollars each year.

Promoters envisage Gurley Biker Rallies rivaling those in Sturgis, South Dakota and Daytona Beach, Florida. Already biker saloons and bars similar to Suck, Bang and Blow, The Dog House and several Topless Bars are in negotiations for locations in and around Gurley, the fairgrounds and old school house there. The fairgrounds property is ideally suited with its existing fair buildings and dirt motocross race track.

Rural residents have been assured that all law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services will be supplied by Horry County and paid for by the $500,000 charged for biker vendor permits. Highways 701, 501, 544, 9 and 22 will provide access for bikers to and from Gurley and keep them away from local roads it is believed.

Officials and promoters feel confident their plan will satisfy the needs of all concerned. The millions of dollars that will be poured into the Gurley area will offset inconveniences created by the rally events. Myrtle Beach and its sister cities will have their May back. And Gurley will become a big city at least once a year.

Like I said, I don't know if it's official. This does sound like a win-win situation for us. We can still enjoy the area and the rally.

ride safe and keep the rubber side down
07 FLHTC rider

Old 09-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just wondering though, without the draw of the beach (like Myrtle Beach has), and all the bars around the area, motels, etc that the beach has, what would really be the draw to Gurley? In fact, do they really think that if that many bikers come to the Gurley area, that they won't go down to Myrtle to cruise all of the above? I'm from near this area, and believe me, once you leave the area of the coast from these beach towns going inland, you're in very rural country and I don't think that area has much to offer. They would really have to build up a lot to compete with the beaches. But if Myrtle doesn't want us anyway.....

I almost believed this post was a joke.

I'd really like to see this work. Our rural areas need an economic boost. So who knows. So I will think positively.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure of the proximity to MB from this area. BUT like I posted, "F*ck MB. There are towns and cities that LOVE the $$$." Guess it didn't take long to find one.
I still wouldn't give 'em the sweat off my *****, tho.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to enjoy the beach but I'd give it a try.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't see the paper yet today but here's some info. Gurley is about 28 miles from MB but it's just a crossroad not much more. No motels anywhere around so MB is still the only real option for rooms. So either way the IDIOTS are still going to get the crowds and traffic no matter where the vendors set up.
Now the revised statue for helmets covers mopeds as well. I live not far from MB and if I get a helmet ticket they had just better give me a littering ticket also for the one I toss.