General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaving tonite on lake michigan circle tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

soulfish

when ever time permits - i take whatever roads i can that go along the shore or as close as i can get. i have done that 119 road a number of years back, but in a car.

after my dad died, i have taken my mom on quite a number of trips from chicago to cloquet mn (35 miles sw of duluth). but quite often we have taken the long route.

around lake superior both south side and north side. we have taken the red eye ferry from manitowoc to ludington and then hugged the lake michigan coast to st ignas and then up to sault st marie across the southern shore of superior to duluth. stayed in cloquet for a day and then back home, sometimes along the st croix river.

but there are just so many good roads in that portion of michigan - really nice - so many roads and so little time.

have to work this weekend, but the next weekend taking my mom and mother-in-law to cloquet - leaving thu night to ludington - fri - ferry then acroos WI to duluth - one day - the drive back sunday - why you ask - because we can

weekend after that - wifes bday

weekedn after that - another trip - why you ask - well - you know the answer

Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you talk your buddy John into the Superior circle, make sure he takes the right clothes! Totally beyond slightly chilly. Yeah, the traffic can suck at times, but coming up LSD is a not-to-miss part of the circle tour. Especially at dawn.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

CHIABATE

you are soo right - LSD is awesome, that whole stretch along the lake. somebody new to the area should see it. defintiely worth it, but lots of traffic.

but both john and I have lived in chicago for before the wise men went to see that baby. so we have done the LSD, just don't want to do it on a bike, at the end of a trip.

actually took it about 6 weeks ago, when we did a lake drive up to milwaukee.

another part that i like is the skyway - but not at the end of a trip when trying to get home.

might try the skyway like sunday morning early to avoid traffic. and then head south into indiana and wrap around well south of I80 and come back up west of 294

Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
soulfish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i posted a google map and then saw page two of this thread, so i edited it out. cross villiage north to mackinaw. you were already back home.
i was just remembering a trip back from the rockies back in 1971. came back home across from milwaukee to ludington on the Badger. the ride out from lud was a cold morning in sept. but i was on the home stretch for bay city. the little honda was unstoppable. one of those memories that seems like yesterday, although 37 years ago.

Last edited by soulfish; 09-22-2008 at 06:47 PM.