General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaving tonite on lake michigan circle tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

The tourists are gone, so now is a good time for the circle tour. I've done it several times. Be sure to pass through the Tunnel of Trees and stop for a beer at Leg's Inn.

If you want to go on a longer ride in more remote country, do a Lake Superior circle tour. I did it this summer and enjoyed the scenery. Just had to watch out for moose. Have a good trip!

Last edited by Geoff; 09-19-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up in Muskegon, MI. When I was a kid we would do the circle tour every 2-3 years. I'm old enough to remember taking the ferry across the straits. Tahquamenon Falls in the UP has always been a stop. Great ride hope you had a good time.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark sounds like a great trip, were going to be doing it in a couple weeks. I wish I would have known earlier on the tires. We might have had them in stock.Were in the next town over (Brookfield,Il. Hollywood Cycles). If you need something give me a shout.
If we dont have the parts in most cases it's next day and also Tucker Rocky has a warehouse in Bolingbrook. If you do stop by make sure you let them know your from the forum. Be Safe!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Been meaning to try that ride. We've done the Lake Erie (A few times) and Lake Ontario Rides before. They are both worth the time.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:52 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I am inspired. I am now thinking of making this ride in a week or two. I will be starting in SW MI. How far is the entire loop? any tips on where to stay and what have yopu? I will research the chit out of this before I go. It sounds like a great fall "leaf peeper" tour.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Wife and I did it 3 yrs back on an Ultra . She just doesn't have the stamina to take her sporty long distance so we rented a bagger .

I can see doing it again after we sell the bikes and get a Electra .

Only take a good week or more instead of 3 days lots to see on both side of the lake , have

vacationed on both sides many times over the years .

( still got my Petosky stone )

Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

well we got back sunday
trip was good - no - it was great
john and i will often go out on a sunday, leaving at 8am. we have picked some place. that place is not a 'destination' but more of a 'direction'.

that was this trip - a direction. we just like to ride.

so we got a late start - my bad - but john knows me.
left around 6:30p. probably good because most traffic was done.
I294-I94-I43
got to menominee around 10:30. traffic not bad. obviously did some good time.
got to the hotel.
had late snack at a perkins - the only one i know that serves alcohol.
then took a dip in the pool and hottub.
got up and wondered if it was going to rain.
took off around 730ish.
day was in the high 50s and low 60s, but no sun, and humid, so it was chilly. but i was dressed good. john was a bit cold.
drove along hwy 2. that is just a good road to ride. road is in pretty good condition. nice sites of the lake. just good riding.
stopped and had a pastie - john's first.
did the mackinaw bridge - i hate heights - windier than last time, but less traffic - still not that comfortable on the bridge. had a ore carrier go underneath the bridge while i was on it. that was pretty neat.
stopped in mackinaw city and took a ferry over to mackinaw island. did the catamoran. i had been there before - johns first time.
we did the horse drawn buggy around the island - good to get a overall idea of the island - but also a bit touristy.
bought some scrimshaw to add to my collection. one of a few places where i know to get it.
got back and took hwy31 along the lake until traverse city. another nice road. at traverse city, hwy 31 heads south. would have like to stay along the shore and head up around leland, but we were limited on time. there are just so many nice roads in that area of michigan.
got to ludington around 9pm and had a good dinner and hit the sack.
got up leaisurely and got to the ferry before 8am. we didn't have reservations, but that was no problem. got our tickets. boarded the ferry with about 25 other bikes and a full load of cars, trucks and campers.
boat took off and we slept on the fore deck for a bit. 4 hours later, docked in manitowac. road along the shore and through the country for awhile. about 20 miles north of milwaukee we decided that we would take the fast trip home, so hopped on 94 and got home around 5pm, so i could do dinner with the wife and have the daughter wait on us on the rooftop beer garden at palmers.
the colors were just barely starting, so in another 2-3 weeks they should be pretty good.

asked john what he would have done differently and his response was - warmer and longer.
this was johns first trip longer than just a day trip. he bought some aftermarket saddlebags for the trip.
i mentioned how i would like to go around the north side of lake superior, something i have done numerous times by car.
and another one to take a long weekend to D.C. and back to see daughter.
and another one to take old rt 66 out west.
said i like to do the camping thing on rides. john's hasn't camped much, but sounded like he was interested.
looks like we might be planning on some more trips next year - johns said he's in.

WALKERININ
the total loop would be about 900 miles. have to check where you are at exactly. part of the reason i took the ludington ferry is that the trip from st joes to west burbs of chicago is difficult to do without doing all xpressways, and I80 can be ugly. taking the ferry isn't quicker but sure is easier. and i like to support them. there is another ferry in milwaukee that takes less time. i think the best part of the trip, for some nice 2 lane roads and scenery and stuff is the east side of lake michigan (west side of michigan state) and the north side of lake michigan. thats why we zip up to past green bay and then do the day riding that way. could take more time in michigan and forget the ferry as to go from ludington to chicago is around 200 miles.

bigdoghd - will have to stop by to just say high if nothing else

am planning on going again possibly the weekend of oct 18th - probably real close to the same trip - again - its about the ride - and winter is coming quickly

Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you made it 'round in GREAT shape. Sounds like you're just slightly 'pumped', Mark.
I'm not sure you could pay this ol' fart enough to do the trip around the bottom of the lake.
I hate doing it in a cage, let alone on a scoot.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM
josterhout
Intermediate

Mark, glad to hear you had a nice trip. I live in the Upper Pen of Michigan. I was out riding on Sat on US2, seen quite a few bikes that day, was always wondering if one of them was you.
Jeff

Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
soulfish
Cruiser
Default Mackinaw to Petoskey

nice weather this week. one more opportunity for some up north riding.

Last edited by soulfish; 09-22-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: leaving tonite on lake michigan circle tour