General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am keeping the sportster - daighter left this morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When our only child left to go off to college, my wife stood at the front door, watched him drive off and cried like a baby even though we were following him up the next day hauling a load of stuff.

I had some other things to keep me busy that started about the same time he left for school. I didn't realize how much I missed him until the first time he came home.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,229 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Hey just look on the bright side. You've got her dogs and her bike so you know she'll be back. I can't answer your question as I have no kids but just trying to be encouraging. BTW did you get the PM I sent you this AM?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whether they are 5/15 or 40 they will always be your children,we never stop to be fathers or mothers,so don't worry they will be back!
I have a son and a daughter

Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

after paying for a college degree for interior design - she goes off and decides to become a restaurant manager.

uncle julio's hacienda mexican restaurants have 5 stores in DC and only 2 here in chicago - so they transfered her there. and she just finished the mngr training. went there with her bfriend who is also a mngr for the same company and got transfered there but to a different store.

she doesn't get vaca until 6 months and then just 1 week. i told her not to come home but to use it for a real vacation.

so this will be the first xmas and thanksgiving and easter and new years and my bday and..................that she won't be around.

her and i have been thru a lot together. she has a lot to do with why i bought my ultra. i still have 2 more at home. so i guess i just better get use to it, as i will have to go thru this two more times.

planning on going there for a weekend in dec. can't wait.

then next apr might do a long weekend moto ride.

gotta look at the brighter side.

its just that i can't just call her up and say 'hey let's go out for a drink'.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
how did you feel when your first left.
Blissful.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:53 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
planning on going there for a weekend in dec. can't wait.
then next apr might do a long weekend moto ride.
Chicago to DC is a nice ride through the mountains in PA, although it can be pretty hellish in the winter. You can spend the night in Breezewood.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,292 Posts

My youngest is 16 and we already hardly ever see him. He is the invisible kid. Either in school, at work, or out with friends. The oldest is 20 and may not ever leave. He is retarded and can't take care of himself. Maybe a group home someday. He sure loves going for rides on the road king.

Whenever the youngest leaves my wife is going to be a basket case. I don't think she will be able to ever cope with the oldest leaving.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 AM
flakdog
Road Captain

I know how you feel. I have two daughters and a son and 4 grandkids. All live within 20 miles from me. Youngest daughter just met a service man and may be moving to Spain. Oh $hit.

FD

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are 27 and 23. #2, has owned his own house for 3 yrs, and has never slept a nite in it. Guess the basement was jus' too comfortable. He finally moved to an apt in the Cities 2 mths go.
Yep, didn't really miss him, til he called, sayin' "I'm comin' HOME this weekend if you need any help"
Didn't I just wipe his nose the day B4?
Then he shows up:

Maybe I wasn't as bad as a Dad as I thunk. SOME might say, Worse.

Mark, glad you kept the Sporty. NOW, all you ppl who bet against me, can send the $$ to.....

Old 09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
xmarine
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Yeah that is what I hear. Half of my friends say downsize the house the other half say don't because since I have 3 daughters at least one is coming back after college and then one will get divorced with kids and might return home with them. WTF?
That is true............DAMN TRUE
Im In(my wife) and me have 4 children between the age of 21 -30. Every one has come home at one time or another, and the oldest brought 3 kids of her own! Currently we have the oldest and youngest here for no telling how long. But I guess that's what parents do.
xmarine

Quick Reply: i am keeping the sportster - daighter left this morning