General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost went down today. What did I learn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:19 AM
Marksman
|
Road Captain
Default Almost went down today. What did I learn?

I’m not sure why I didn’t go down this morning. I was sure I was headed that way. I’m trying to learn from the situation and never be there again.

I was coming to work this morning on the expressway. I usually run the left lane. It moves faster, smoother, you have traffic only coming at you from the right, plus I feel I have the shoulder as an escape route. So we had just passed a slow area and the left lane was like a freight train gaining speed. A string of 12 or so cars, all too close together. I’m near the back. We had just topped 70 as we came over a small hill. There were a couple cars on the left shoulder and one started to pull out. This started a chain reaction. The rising sun made all the taillights glow so people’s reaction time was slowed.

I realized what was happening and jammed the brakes. The car in front was heading toward the shoulder to avoid the guy in front of him. I realized my rear brake is completely locked. The bike then goes into a violent wobble. My only hope is to hold on and pray I stay up and get stopped.
We didn’t get to a complete stop. We got to about 20 when everyone took off. I was afraid to lift that rear brake, but I didn’t want to get rear ended. Luckily, the bike seemed to straighten up and I eased off the brake. I was still up. How?

Bottom line, I was too close. Period. I’ve gotten too comfortable on the bike. This whole thing could have been prevented. So I pledge to give more distance. Don’t flame me, I screwed up.

The locked rear brake. Panic set it, I jammed the brakes. It may happen again, I can’t say it won’t. How do you not do that?

The Wobble. WTF? Was that from the rear brake or do I have other issues? That was the worse part. I felt I had zero control. Maneuvering out of the situation seemed to be gone. That scared me to death. I hope never to experience that again.

It happened so fast, but now it seems like slow motion. Response in this situation needs to be instinctive. Hopefully I will learn something and play it over in my head enough, that next time; I instinctively do the right thing.

I thank God that I’m alright.

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:23 AM
anubisss
Banned

Don't follow as close as you were. Only thing I can think of.

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:32 AM
johnlee
Stage II

Glad you came out of this...........I take the same ride in the mornings (Michigan area) I do 47 miles one way to work and three interstates with one divided highway. I think you came up with the right answer...........lots of space between you and the car in front. This at times is tough because in the left lanes I travel (275, 696, and M53) have limit of 70. The accepted speed is 80++ with no problems. No one will tailgate unless you are under 80 (believe me) Want to go slower just move to the right and you are fine.

I just got a 2009 RK a couple weeks ago and during break in I STAY OFF the freeways. Just thinking about you locking up your rear wheel...........I was considering ABS.........you think you would have stopped sooner? With ABS that is?

Glad you are all right
John

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:36 AM
Marksman
|
Road Captain

johnlee. Yep, I-696. 80++ is the norm.
ABS would prevent the lock up for sure. Get you stopped faster? I'm not sure.
Should have gotten weight forward and on the front brakes harder.
Panic.

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:36 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Anytime you "lock" a wheel up, you lose most of your maneuvering abilities.
But as you said, panic sets in and it all happens in split seconds.

But in order to maneuver, you need to not quite "lock em up".

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:41 AM
Cowboy115
Banned

Ive done that a few times (On each bike ive owned and one each bike I borrowed from my old man) A fishtail just like in the cars can be obtained on a scoot. Just stay calm and keep your balance, You can let go on the rear break and hit it slowly that works, or you can leave it in and ride it out. After the first time you kind of get used to it.

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:14 AM
aries4155
Cruiser

The only problem with leaving more space is some ***hole WILL pull into that space. I thought MA was bad but when I went back to WI last month IL is far worse.
There are actually states that instruct people to move to the right lane, New England drivers only drive in the left lane.
It's amazing how the right two lanes can be virtually empty with everyone in the fast lane. I may opinion this WILL NEVER CHANGE because drivers are just too damn lazy to move or afraid they will not get back in the fast lane. Because you know when someone is going to slow and you try to go around they WILL speed up to prevent you from getting back in. At least I got them to close the gap.
It just boils down to alot of people are just selfish and don't care about anybody else.
OK I'm DONE.

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:22 AM
Romey
Cruiser

Glad you made it out of that situation ok. Sounds to me like you learned something from it. I find I'm to quick and to heavy on the rear brake. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think everyone that reads it comes away a little wiser.

Romey

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:24 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by aries4155
The only problem with leaving more space is some ***hole WILL pull into that space.
+1 happens around here way to often, I usually back off of the cage that pulled in my "free space" and open up another one, which starts the cycle over again.

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:25 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

This might get me a little bit flamed, but since you were already in that situation (all "I really should have known better" aside, as important as that state of mind is), it seems to me it was better for you to keep that rear wheel locked until you were absolutely sure you had full control of the bike. If that rear wheel suddenly gained traction while you were still wobbling... could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Definitely thank God you're all right. I'm sure this experience will be a catalyst for you to hone up on your riding skills. Rider's Edge Skilled Riders course, baby! Stay safe, keep the rubber side down.

Quick Reply: Almost went down today. What did I learn?