General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost went down today. What did I learn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008 | 12:53 PM
tdogg
Cruiser

Glad you made it out alright. Yeah, I think we all follow too close sometimes and stuff happens soooo fast... Thanks for sharing and I Will learn something from what you said.

2008 SG
Vivid Black
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Ovals
21/18
Bumppin Sounds
Lots of Chrome

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:07 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
In Illinois, it is illegal to drive in the left lane for anything other than passing. It is illegal to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane - technically, if you are in the left lane doing 75 in a 55, and someone is coming up behind you, doing 90, you have to get out of their way or face a ticket.

In Illinois, people regularly camp in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic.

In Illinois, if there are two lanes going in the same direction, you can legally pass on the right.
Rolling back from Springfield with the BSMC. THEY ROLL!!! We were 90+, 'packed up', crested a hill, 2 HP in median. Cars MOVED over for us. HP just sat there. Less than 2 miles later, still 90+, HP in median there, too. As we approached, note he had radar gun. As we passed him by, I noticed he took gun, and looked 'down' it, like looking down the barrel of a gun. Guess maybe he thought it was bad. I looked down, speedo was between 95 and a C note. He didn't pull out behind us, either. So, GOOD drivers, they didn't camp out in left lane, and "GOOD" HP's, they just shook their combined heads, possibly in disbelief.
BTW - I was running 'tailgunner' with a Grand Cherokee chase vehicle. A VERY uncommon site would be to see Gumby in a 90+ pack. NOT my cup o' tea. I'll 'tail' but not pack it at that speed. Too nerve rackin' for this ol' fart, nowadays. Eyes, reflexes and nerves ain't what they used to was.

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:27 PM
Marksman
|
Road Captain

Plus Gumby don't have no front brakes! And I bet the rears aren't ABS!
That has to be fun.

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:35 PM
Oldandslow
Cruiser

Rear wheel lock-up was way too easy on my 2007 Superglide. Same thing happened to me. All bikes in my group accelerated and then the lead bike slowed really fast. When I saw the chain reaction develop I grabbed both brakes and the rear locked. Went into the wobble you described and I eased the rear brake until the bike settled. I was afraid to get off the rear too quickly as I was afraid of high-siding. I slowed with little room to the bike in front of me. I've learned to increase the space from the bike ahead of me as our speed increases.

When I ordered my new bike I ordered a 2008 Streetglide both for looks and the availability of ABS. I have had the ABS engage on the rear when I didn't see a need for it until after it does so. I look down and see gravel or sand and then I understand. ABS is great!

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:53 PM
SlickTX
Intermediate

I had a similar situation happen to me. I got complacent with so many easy stops, downshifting, bleeding off speed gradually, slight touch to rear brake and I'm stopped. My situation involved an idiot in the left traffic lane of a 5 lane street (2 traffic lanes in each direction with a center turn lane). The idiot decided to turn left from the left traffic lane and didn't bother with the center turn lane. The problem was she stopped in the lane due to oncoming traffic (in the opposite traffic lanes, the center lane was clear). She was two spots in front of me and caught both me and the truck in front of me offguard. Panic stopping ensued, I hit the rear brake and I was closing on the truck's bumper fast. At the last second I grabbed as much of the front brake as I could and I stopped on a dime with about a foot to spare.

It rattled me quite a bit and looking back on it I realize that the rattle was a good thing. I'm more attentive and I am consciously balancing my braking on EVERY stop. I also practice emergency stops when I can (make sure the review is clear).