General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost went down today. What did I learn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 06:21 PM
dcmassena
Tourer

Originally Posted by aries4155
The only problem with leaving more space is some ***hole WILL pull into that space. I thought MA was bad but when I went back to WI last month IL is far worse.
There are actually states that instruct people to move to the right lane, New England drivers only drive in the left lane.
It's amazing how the right two lanes can be virtually empty with everyone in the fast lane. I may opinion this WILL NEVER CHANGE because drivers are just too damn lazy to move or afraid they will not get back in the fast lane. Because you know when someone is going to slow and you try to go around they WILL speed up to prevent you from getting back in. At least I got them to close the gap.
It just boils down to alot of people are just selfish and don't care about anybody else.
OK I'm DONE.
In WA people hang out in the left lane as well. The right lanes will be wide open and the left lane is full of cars. Of course it is illegal to pass on the right, but what choice do you have when 3 or 4 cars are in the left lane doing 55 or 60 (posted speed limit is 65). Luckily the state patrol is starting to crack down on this sort fo thing and give tickets.

Old 09-18-2008 | 07:36 PM
Wawrzyniak4
Novice

That's why I sometimes perform a mock emergency stop ,which I read about from another rider in a cycle review somewhere. I'll be riding on an EMPTY road somewhere,about 50 mph,and then just grab the brakes real hard. That gave me a feel for what to expect and how the bike will react. I was very surprised at how quickly the bike will actually come to a stop. I think it is important as someone else had just said to grab enough of the front brake also.

Old 09-18-2008 | 07:46 PM
tallboy56
Road Master

Had an old XL250 Honda that I was riding WFO in a straight in Kingsport,TN when the engine locked up solid. The clutch would not engage and the rear wheel was locked up. The thing was doing the side to side slide and somehow, I stayed up. I know that feeling and it ain't a good one. I also know if you're like me, you learn from your mistakes. Glad you're ok....be safe!

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:12 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rde
I am curious about locking up your rear tire and then re-applying power.
Not re-applying power, re-applying the rear brake. You want to have the brake on as much as possible, just short of locking. If you lock it, let it go, then get back on it - hopefully, this time, just short of locking it up.

Kinda like redneck ABS or something.

Originally Posted by rde
So how do you handle a situation like this when there is traffic on your tail? Seems to me the worst thing you can do is high side in front of moving traffic because you'll likely get run over. Would most have just come to a complete stop somewhere away from the traffic? This could happen to anyone of us-just curious how people would handle this situation.
Every situation is different, so, what I'd do would depend on the exact set of circumstances at that exact moment. He pretty much did the right thing for the situation he was in.

In general, I try to keep a lot of space around me, whenever possible, and stay aware of my options for going somewhere else. Taking off as much speed as possible almost always helps. Since it's difficult to watch everything unfolding in front of you and watch your mirrors during an emergency situation, I always assume the guy behind me could use a bit more room to do what he needs to do. I'll try to get out of his way and give him that room.

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:16 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dcmassena
In WA people hang out in the left lane as well. The right lanes will be wide open and the left lane is full of cars. Of course it is illegal to pass on the right, but what choice do you have when 3 or 4 cars are in the left lane doing 55 or 60 (posted speed limit is 65). Luckily the state patrol is starting to crack down on this sort fo thing and give tickets.
In Illinois, it is illegal to drive in the left lane for anything other than passing. It is illegal to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane - technically, if you are in the left lane doing 75 in a 55, and someone is coming up behind you, doing 90, you have to get out of their way or face a ticket.

In Illinois, people regularly camp in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic.

In Illinois, if there are two lanes going in the same direction, you can legally pass on the right.

Old 09-19-2008 | 01:22 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wawrzyniak4
That's why I sometimes perform a mock emergency stop ,which I read about from another rider in a cycle review somewhere. I'll be riding on an EMPTY road somewhere,about 50 mph,and then just grab the brakes real hard. That gave me a feel for what to expect and how the bike will react. I was very surprised at how quickly the bike will actually come to a stop. I think it is important as someone else had just said to grab enough of the front brake also.
In an emergency stop, you almost always want to use both brakes, just short of locking.

In some emergency situations, the best reaction may be to maneuver out of it, rather than just stopping. Some times, you want to get rid of as much speed as possible, but then keep moving.

When I practice emergency stops, in addition to getting on both brakes as hard as possible without locking them, I also include my left foot clicking down a couple of gears. That way, if I need to get on the gas again, I'm in a better gear for doing so. It's a pretty easy drill - both hands pull all the way in, both feet stomping pedals. I would add to practice puckering your ******* - but that seems to work automatically.

Old 09-19-2008 | 04:51 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by aries4155
The only problem with leaving more space is some ***hole WILL pull into that space. I thought MA was bad but when I went back to WI last month IL is far worse.
There are actually states that instruct people to move to the right lane, New England drivers only drive in the left lane.
It's amazing how the right two lanes can be virtually empty with everyone in the fast lane. I may opinion this WILL NEVER CHANGE because drivers are just too damn lazy to move or afraid they will not get back in the fast lane. Because you know when someone is going to slow and you try to go around they WILL speed up to prevent you from getting back in. At least I got them to close the gap.
It just boils down to alot of people are just selfish and don't care about anybody else.
OK I'm DONE.
My experience is that those MA drivers are some of the worst in the world - I think they're taught to avoid eye contact in driver ed. At intersections it's a free-for-all. Do you mean there are actually worse

Old 09-19-2008 | 08:39 AM
Marksman
|
Road Captain

I drove past the spot this morning. The surface is concrete which has grooves ground into it. Man I left a weird looking skid mark.

I can also say I'm a bit gun shy now. My heart jumps every time I see all the brake lights ahead. Even tho I am holding back further. And yes everyone was jumping into the spot in front of me.

In Michigan everyone drives in the left lane. We were actually moving faster than the other lanes in heavy traffic. People here don't understand that you should get out of that lane and not just drive there. It is maddening at times.

And just a recap. I was hard on the front and rear brakes. Pretty sure the fronts never locked (single disc, stock pads), the rear (Lyndall Gold pads) locked before I realized it. Panic?

Maneuvering hasn't an option as there was a car on the right and the car in front of me went left to the shoulder. After the car on the right went by, I would have loved to have gone there, but by that time the bike was out of control.

I do think I will go practice some panic stops. Hopefully I can get where my instinct knows how hard I can get on that rear without locking it up.

Old 09-19-2008 | 11:34 AM
mark10
Road Master

i sometimes wonder if because most of us use our right foot for braking in a car, and it is the only brake we use, that we just out of habit,almost instinctively, push harder with that foot.

i am wondering if practicing stopping only with the front would be benefial. and then slowly add the rear brake into the process.

quite a number of years ago (about 20) i was coming home in a car to chicago from milwaukee on I94. snowy, blowy. i was going maybe a bit too fast for conditions. still, i was only going about 65.
crossing a bridge in the left lane, suddenly the car spun out, spinning to the right, crossed all three lanes to the right. i saw headlights coming at me. sliding sideways into the guard rail, sliding backwards now down the road. had it not been for the guardrail, i would have gone down the hill. front left of car slammed into guard rail and bounced off and shoved the back into the guard rail. front left headlight was shoved back to under the center of the windshield. interesting enough the hood was in perfest condition as was the front bumper. the guard rail had slide right in between them. i had ripped out about 4 or 5 of the 6x6 posts holding the guard rail.

15k damage on car, and 5k on the guard rail. car was totalled. it was a beautiful in perfect condition 1983 bmw 320i. totalled. car probably saved my life. i walked away.

anyway - the purpose of the story is that it took me over two years before i felt comfortable driving when it was snowing out. and a couple more before i didn't get the willeys driving by that place on I94.

these things just don't go away that fast.

but you control the fear and use it to your advantage and remember that you controlled the situation when it happened.

Old 09-19-2008 | 12:30 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

In riding dirt bikes, streetbikes, and now a Harley, i've learned that being a little nervous will keep you alive. When you start to get way to comfortable or relaxed, then sh*t starts to hit the fan. Being a little nervous gets you focused. Ask any real athlete, whether they play with a ball, motorcycle, or car...being a little nervous can be a good thing. My advice, don't get too comfortable and don't follow to closely.

Quick Reply: Almost went down today. What did I learn?