General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost went down today. What did I learn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 12:55 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

Hi,
very glad u made it and that nothing happened with u,I know exact how u feel 'cause last week i almost went down taking a sharp curve too fast.
take care and ride safe,we have a bike angel watching.

Old 09-18-2008 | 01:47 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer

Glad your safe - part of the problem in the United States is that everyone has an attitude of I'm-the-most-important-person-on-this-road, instead of we're-all-in-this-together. Drivers here think nothing of passing on the RIGHT. In Europe, that wouldn't be tolerated; of course, over there they MOVE OVER. Read the book "Good Vibrations" by Tom Cunnliffe. It's about a cross-country and back odyssey he, on a HS and his wife on a Sporty, took across the country. He's a Brit and writes a lot about the differing attitudes in America and Europe.

Old 09-18-2008 | 01:49 PM
DMas
Road Master

Glad you're okay. I avoid 275 and 696 during rush hours. I take the mile roads in (usually 8 or 10 Mile) and the sun the last few days is brutal. I've started to give my self twice the space between me and the car in front of me since my view is diminished.

Old 09-18-2008 | 02:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by wildcat465

ABS would have prevented this, allowed you to maintain control, and keep your underwear a little cleaner. For those of you who discount the benefits of ABS and say that it's only good on wet surfaces, this is a good example when it would have paid for itself.

For those of your contemplating a new bike purchase, get ABS.
I don't need ABS I just squeeze the lever 500 times per second...

Old 09-18-2008 | 02:11 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Congratulations on not crashing.
I would think what you learned from this was always be ready for something unexpected, when you are topping a hill. Most of my emergency breaking has been as I was cresting the top of a hill,usually because of traffic being at a dead stop or debris in my lane and traffic on both sides.
Tom

Old 09-18-2008 | 02:23 PM
FlatDF
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
I had this same exact thing happen to me the other day, the wobble you described is more than likely caused by the back end trying to come around due to the locked rear wheel, once that rear tire started to regain traction it was thrown back in line with the bikes direction causing the wobble. It has been said in this thread that maybe you should have stayed on that rear brake until the bike came to a stop,....maybe, if the bike comes around far enough and that rear tire regains traction it can throw you into a high side....bad deal, but comming to a complete stop in the fast lane of the interstate could be worse, you kept it up, and your still hear to talk about it so you did ok. JMHO
Yep, agree with you there. Back in July someone pulled out in front of me from a side street and stopped when they realized what they'd done, blocking my entire lane. I locked the rear up, and it came around about a quarter of the way - just held it down until I knew I was going to make it by (barely, maybe 5 feet to spare), and released. The way the bike comes back from that 1/4 rotation slide is pretty scarey - any further and I would've been thrown, as it was I was able to just use the momentum and go around the truck. Close calls suck, but there's always something to learn from em.

Old 09-18-2008 | 02:29 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain

If you have tubes in your tires YES pull it out now and then get the tire patched from the inside if the tire is worth it. If you have tubeless get to a shop that can plug it till you can get a new one

Old 09-18-2008 | 03:04 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Marksman
I’ve gotten too comfortable on the bike.
Thats a good thing ey? Its when I start losing respect for a bike and the road itself its time to drive the cage. It only takes a second for it to go fubar. Glad you kept the ol gal upright sir.

Old 09-18-2008 | 04:09 PM
rde
Road Captain

We can all learn from situations like this, I commend you for posting this thread.

ABS is a no brainer-it's a good thing. But not everyone has ABS. So..........

I am curious about locking up your rear tire and then re-applying power. I was taught that once you lock up your rear tire you disengage power to the rear wheel and keep on the rear brake until you stop ( hopefully still on your bike ). The risk of a high side seems extremely likely if you apply power to that rear wheel.

So how do you handle a situation like this when there is traffic on your tail? Seems to me the worst thing you can do is high side in front of moving traffic because you'll likely get run over. Would most have just come to a complete stop somewhere away from the traffic? This could happen to anyone of us-just curious how people would handle this situation.

Old 09-18-2008 | 05:10 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like you weren't using your front brake. The front brake is where the majority of your stopping power is. The front brake also doesn't lock up near as readily as the rear. And yes, when you lock the rear, you'll wobble all over the place. You need to practice getting on the front hard, in an emergency. You'll slow down a LOT faster.

Quick Reply: Almost went down today. What did I learn?