General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MD/Delaware riders - ferry to Atlantic City?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD/Delaware riders - ferry to Atlantic City?

I am looking to do a short ride here pretty soon just to get out and was thinking about going to Atlantic City.
It looks like on the map I can go down to Annapolis (20 south of my house) then take the hwy 18 through MD and Delaware to Lewes and ride a ferry or something (not sure if there is a bridge) then take the 9 up to Atlantic City.
Is there a bridge or is it a Ferry that you have to take? And would this be the most scenic and best way to get there? We just moved here 2 months ago, so I am not sure about directions and they best routes yet. Especially since it has been 5 years since we lived in Tokyo and actually had to plan routes around the outrageous toll rodes that I planned my trips around to save money and also not get stuck riding in the concrete jungle. I would rather add double the time to the ride then ride on a turnpike (I think that is what they called them in PA) where is nothing but road and those roadside gas stations super centers.
Thanks for any ideas and help. I just want to get on the road and go somewhere before the winter comes rolling in...

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
vega823
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sikryd2
I am looking to do a short ride here pretty soon just to get out and was thinking about going to Atlantic City.
It looks like on the map I can go down to Annapolis (20 south of my house) then take the hwy 18 through MD and Delaware to Lewes and ride a ferry or something (not sure if there is a bridge) then take the 9 up to Atlantic City.
Is there a bridge or is it a Ferry that you have to take? And would this be the most scenic and best way to get there? We just moved here 2 months ago, so I am not sure about directions and they best routes yet. Especially since it has been 5 years since we lived in Tokyo and actually had to plan routes around the outrageous toll rodes that I planned my trips around to save money and also not get stuck riding in the concrete jungle. I would rather add double the time to the ride then ride on a turnpike (I think that is what they called them in PA) where is nothing but road and those roadside gas stations super centers.
Thanks for any ideas and help. I just want to get on the road and go somewhere before the winter comes rolling in...
I have gone down to Ocean City, MD from Staten Island several times and you can either take the Cape May/Lewes ferry, or drive around by staying north and taking the Delaware Memorial Bridge. All depends on your preference. If you want a nice hour-and-a-half break from your ride with beautiful scenery, take the ferry. After you get off the ferry, you can ride through Wildwood and up the coast to AC. That would be my recommendation.
Here is the link to the ferry for schedule and other info:
http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/
Good luck and have fun.