Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polarized prescription sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polarized prescription sunglasses?

Just got me a pair of these babies and was wandering what the census is on these while riding. I wear glasses cause I am far sighted and do not have a pair for riding. I will have a pair of Rayban framed polarized prescriptions in about two weeks and can't wait. I have been riding with a pair of panoptx day/night, these are good but things get a little fuzzy at distance. I do know the polarized is great sun protection and thats what I need, the panoptx day/night does not get dark enough neither does transitions.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Polarized glasses arnt so good for riding a bike, they have a way of now allowing you to see small puddles in the road because the polarized lenses take the glare off the water that you might ride through, at best you have a dirty bike, at worst you hydroplane and go down.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I would like a PM when you get those prescription glasses. I need to be able to read up close and an astigmatism correction too. I get tired of carrying two pair of glasses, one to read with, and one for sun.

I'm probably a candidate for cataract removal. All brights lights have a glow or corona around them.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I would like a PM when you get those prescription glasses. I need to be able to read up close and an astigmatism correction too. I get tired of carrying two pair of glasses, one to read with, and one for sun.

I'm probably a candidate for cataract removal. All brights lights have a glow or corona around them.
Request granted!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

If ya ride really fast you will get to the far away stuff sooner and then you can see it OK. It's simple really.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HD
Just got me a pair of these babies and was wandering what the census is on these while riding. I wear glasses cause I am far sighted and do not have a pair for riding. I will have a pair of Rayban framed polarized prescriptions in about two weeks and can't wait. I have been riding with a pair of panoptx day/night, these are good but things get a little fuzzy at distance. I do know the polarized is great sun protection and thats what I need, the panoptx day/night does not get dark enough neither does transitions.
I've been wearing the prescription Raybans for about 6 years now. I bought the wrap around style and they work quite well. Very little wind gets behind them. Like all polorized lenses, they make your windshield and your face shield look odd, and as for the water on the road comment, I've never had a problem seeing standing water
I've been really happy with mine and will probably keep them when my script changes.

-Andy

Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that polarized are not good for motorcycle riding. The glare they eliminate might let you know there is water or oil on the road. And there are no day/night lenses that get dark enough for a bright day.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

I have to disagree with the guys who say they're not good for riding because they eliminate glare. That's the very reason they're excellent for riding. Glare isn't an aid to observation, it's a hinderance. Take away the glare (and polarized lenses reduce but don't completely eliminate glare) and you can see the real object rather than a dazzling spot of intense, useless light. I've been flying with polarised lenses for about 10 years, started riding a Harley last year. I won't wear anything else. They reduce eye fatigue and make it much easier to be out longer on a sunny day without feeling blinded or whipped at the end of it.

You'll be very happy with them, I have no doubt!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 AM
dc3mek
Cruiser

I have to step in here and say that I won't wear anything but polarized lenses. True, they can in some instances disguise ( for lack of a better term) some wet spots, I've never had any problems with that, but it could be a problem. But when driving in traffic, they are great because they help you see through windows in cagers, that can be a life saver if the driver isn't paying attention, and you can see what he/she should be seeing...make sense?
And the previous poster is right on about their ability to lessen eye fatigue, another plus in the safety column...just my $.02

Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear a pair of Wiley-X with polarized blue lenses and I have never had a problem seeing water, oil or any other hazard. I have had them for a little over a year and in thirty years of riding, they are the best riding glasses I have ever had.

Quick Reply: Polarized prescription sunglasses?