General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polarized prescription sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I would like a PM when you get those prescription glasses. I need to be able to read up close and an astigmatism correction too. I get tired of carrying two pair of glasses, one to read with, and one for sun.

I'm probably a candidate for cataract removal. All brights lights have a glow or corona around them.
Take a look at http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produc...ses/rxflip.htm I've got the same problem and bought a pair of 'Perceptions' at the start of the summer with a couple of extra clip-on lenses (amber and yellow). They don't let any appreciable wind in around them (I wear an open face Davida) and the clip-ons flip up so if you need them as just plain reading glasses their great. Had my local optician make them up for my prescription

Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 'em. I love them. I don't rely on glare to see anything particular in the road. I use changes in the color of the road surface to indicate possible changes in surface traction.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM
alanb
Advanced

I've been wearing a pair of prescription Oakley's for about a year and a half now and love them. They do have polarized lenses. They really reduce the glare and help me to see better on bright days. I can't imagine being without them.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

I had a set of clip ins for my clear and dark riding glasses had a problem riding at night, with the double glass it would make a mirror, and made it difficult to see if another vehicle was coming toward me, most of the time I wear day/night prescription sun glasses, I provided my riding frames, when I first picked them up the optician said to leave them in the sun all day, and they will go very dark which I did, and they definitely go a lot darker than the glasses I wear for work,

Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been using Raybans polarized with progressive lens for over 6 yrs now without any problem. The pair I currently have is my 3rd pair (the lady adjusting my 2nd pair broke the frame so I got a new pair free! )

I use to carry 2 pair with me and have to swap but now I just have the one pair unless I know I'm going to be out after dark and I bring my regular pair with me and put them in the sissy bar bag.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Cowboy115
Banned

I went out one day and bought 12 pairs of sunglasses, I carry at least 1 on me and at night ride with no shades. I have raybans, Cheapo's, Iron Mans. I mostly use my cheap ones since I have big bugs that have smashed my lenses befor. Cheapies are 5 dollars at the flea market compaired to 20-25 every where else.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have prescription Maui Jims. Best glasses I have ever owned. Mine are blended tri focal as well. Expensive but well worth it. The idea that you can't see water or oil on the road is total BS.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a windshield, they will cause an odd shadow look on the plastic. Don't worry after a little while your brain will get use to it and you will not even notice anymore.
I would also like to add, that cataracts run in my family. I wear polarized sunglasses with UV protectant all the time, and have for 15 years.
Ask about the UV protectant. IF they don't say they have it then they do not.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will buck the trend here.
I hate polarized prescription sunglasses. I have been using a pair for a little over 2 years. No problem with riding the bike, but they are a PITA for everything else. They block out a lot of images on LED screens, such as cell phones,cameras, monitors,store charge card screens, etc.
I have been cussing these glasses out since the day I bought them. I will be getting new glasses pretty soon and will toss the polarized pair.
Tom

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I will buck the trend here.
I hate polarized prescription sunglasses. I have been using a pair for a little over 2 years. No problem with riding the bike, but they are a PITA for everything else. They block out a lot of images on LED screens, such as cell phones,cameras, monitors,store charge card screens, etc.
I have been cussing these glasses out since the day I bought them. I will be getting new glasses pretty soon and will toss the polarized pair.
Tom
Hey T, try the fricken flip ups I mentioned at the beginning of the thread - they look like shijt but they work well - I was having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Polarized prescription sunglasses?