General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Helmets or Novelty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Try this link. When (if) they pass the law in AZ, I'm going to look into these.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm
With all the people from CA moving to AZ it's only a matter of time.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I wear a condom when I'm with a prostitute (not really).

Now that's the one thing you should do!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to go the carbon fiber route, check out the deals on e-bay. I got a new 3/4 HJC for $180.00, the same one that goes for $350.00 with a certain logo on it.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Cowboy115
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont like to ride with a helmet, It just feels strange. I used to wear a full face modular helmet that I liked, but now I have a 1/2 helmet and it feels like a military helmet. I dont know I mostly wear the helmet when it rains or on really long trips. But other then that I like riding with no lid.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Texas doesn't have a helmet law, but I wear a 3/4 one all the time, no exceptions. I hate it when it gets really hot, but I wear it anyway.

I would like to see some scientific studies around what type of helmet you should wear, and how well they protect you overall. Of course no helmet will do much good if you get hit head on by a truck, but common sense would seem to dictate that a full face is better in some types of crashes than a half helmet. But what percentage of accidents? Do full face really result in more spine injuries? Is the European standard (softer helmet) really better than Snell? If you try to find the answers to these types of questions, you'll find a lot of opinion, but very little data to make an informed choice.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't wear one when I first started riding and was much younger Now I do.

I wear one first because I have 5 kids and I think it is important to give them every chance to keep their dad around. I also don't really buy the whole neck injury thing. The helmet is fairly light and it is directly next to your head. Try doing sit ups with your hands crossed over your chest, then behind your head, then stretched out behind you with a 5 pound weight in your hands. With the weight you see quickly how additional weight makes a difference when it is a "significant" distance from your head. But with the hands behind your head vs. your chest I see little difference. Just my opinion and not based on lots of physics equations, but it both seems right logically and it feels right to me.

I also wear one because of my experience playing football. I really did like having a helmet on my head when the 225 lb back had gotten past the linebackers and was full steam at my 180 lb butt.

I hope I never need to actually need the helmet on the bike, but I will likely always put one on my head.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear on for my son, because I would rather be a quadriplegic or a paraplegic and see my son grow up, then to be dead and never see him again. So I could really care less if they cause spinal or neck injuries.

That and the Navy makes me.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear one because we have a helmet law, but I wear a novelty helmet. I have always found that not wrecking works much better than any helmet. 40+ years and haven't been wrong yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts
Talking

It should be up to each individual to make their own choice about using a real helmet vs a novelty. And they should perform a cost/benefit analysis before making their choice.

Benefit:
Not wearing a real helmet because of heat, weight, vision restriction, broken neck in case of an accident. (none of those are in fact actual factors but they are what some people use for justification to not wear a helmet). Some people are opposed on the grounds of governmental intrusion on an individual's rights. (the logic here depends on the value of individual rights vs. social responsibility and other considerations such as if a rider really understands the possible ramifications for himself/herself or his/her family).

Cost:
Grinding your face on the street which can erase your nose. Living your life with the results of a head injury. If the head injury is severe enough you will have dramatically altered, if not totally changed your life as you knew it before the head injury. But on the upside you will be eligible for welfare or some other governmental stipend.(so maybe that's a benefit?)

On the other hand, if your head injury is only bad enough to prevent you from performing your current job, you may still have to find a method with which you can support yourself and your family. And that method may not be something you enjoy doing, but a lot of people dislike their jobs. Of course most of them have the option to be retrained to do something else. Your head injury may prevent you from having that option. Your life is dramatically altered but you must still meet the same responsibilities. It is just much more difficult.

Cost/benefit analysis. That is something we do every day with almost every action we take, or don't take. The only consideration is that a head injury severely limits your options. But it may be worth the risk if the novelty helmet is that 'novel'?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-16-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 PM
vV_juggernaut_Vv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

required to wear one by the Army. must have at least a DOT sticker to pass safety inspections when on military bases

Quick Reply: DOT Helmets or Novelty?