General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?

Just wondering how many of you have been to Deal's Gap, (aka Tail of the Dragon) in North Carolina yet. You know 318 curves in 11 miles. We had always heard of it, so we went there last year. It was a lot of fun, but the scariest thing about it was all the crotch rockets blasting past you at a million miles an hour taking all kinds of chances. We had a great time, got the T-shirt. But I have to tell ya, we rode even curvier roads while we were there in other places.

Another great thing is all the other fantastic rides that are near the area such as Cherohala Skyway, Natahola National Forest, Fontana Dam to name a few. What a great time!

If you've been, you must show us the pic you ordered once you got home. You know you have one. If not, do you plan to go? Here's mine: We were still 2 up then. I'm not ready for the dragon on my own....YET.

Reminds me of a woman we met at a stop halfway through the ride. She said that didn't know if she could get through it or not and that she wished they had a helicopter service to get her the heck off that road!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Yep, I get there a couple of times a year. I love the Dragon as well as a number of the other great roads in the area.

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow

Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No and no but thanks for asking.

Nice pics though.

Primo

Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't rode it, and don't plan to simply because of some of the morons that do ride it and kill themselves and others. Naah, there's plenty enough danger on the roads here in NJ to satisfy me, don't need to travel hundreds of miles looking for it. Nonetheless, congratulations (seriously) to you and others who made the trip.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yep, I get there a couple of times a year. I love the Dragon as well as a number of the other great roads in the area.

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
Now THAT is just sooooo cool!!! How in the world did you get that many pics of you on the dragon? I couldn't find but just the one online. Very nice pics!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Yup..several times. Its a great area to spend some time. I suggest that you go during the week if possible. Less traffic, Less cops, more fun!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fogoms
Haven't rode it, and don't plan to simply because of some of the morons that do ride it and kill themselves and others. Naah, there's plenty enough danger on the roads here in NJ to satisfy me, don't need to travel hundreds of miles looking for it. Nonetheless, congratulations (seriously) to you and others who made the trip.
I can understand your feelings. Lots of folks do take way too many chances on that road. Was fun to do it once though. Now the surrounding area makes it WELL worth the visit though. If you haven't, you really should try the beautiful mountain roads of NC.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogoms
Interesting, considering that the annual fatality rate on the Dragon and the surrounding area is lower than that of most metropolitan areas.

After the summer vacation months, you can usually ride the Dragon Monday - Thursday and typically see very little traffic. But that's OK, stay where you are, that means less traffic for those of us that enjoy the great roads and the fun and challenges they provide.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not yet, but I'm planning to.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

Its a blast. I waiting until all the yahooooo from the local rally hit it on Sat. then went and did it on Sunday before I was leaving Tenn. It was a blast, scraped the pegs and the boots quite a bit, but its all good. It ended up raining on the way back which just made it all the more interesting.
I won't do any of the local rides at Rally's anymore after I was following some idiots who didn't know how to ride in formation, or ride for that matter, went over the centerline down a downhill turn and took out 8 bikers. I said thats it, I'll wait till things are over to venture out, or even to hit certain rallys anymore. Which its a stretch to call them that with all the vendors and "enter to win this bike"! More like a swap meet.
Anyway. I would recommend it. But on a non-busy weekend or weekday.

Quick Reply: Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?