General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,912 Likes on 814 Posts

Rode the Tail in 2006. Loved it. We went during the day on a Monday. Very little traffic.

Cheers!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,027 Likes on 13,516 Posts

The DRAGON is just another curvy road in that area,that said I first ran it in the 80's and last year.Did you know that in the old Bob Mitchem movie THUNDER ROAD that parts of it were filmed there?

Attached Thumbnails Have you slain the Dragon yet?  Will you?-arts-087.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
The DRAGON is just another curvy road in that area,that said I first ran it in the 80's and last year.Did you know that in the old Bob Mitchem movie THUNDER ROAD that parts of it were filmed there?

So also, were parts of the James Taylor drag race movie, "Two Lane Blacktop", or some title like that, one of the "Beach Boy's" was the co-lead, they were in a flip front 55 Chevy I think,

Deal's Gap Resort is still a gas station in the film,

Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogoms
Haven't rode it, and don't plan to simply because of some of the morons that do ride it and kill themselves and others. Naah, there's plenty enough danger on the roads here in NJ to satisfy me, don't need to travel hundreds of miles looking for it. Nonetheless, congratulations (seriously) to you and others who made the trip.
Hate to bust your bubble bro but you're in a hell of a lot more danger on those Jersey highways than you'll ever be doin' the dragon.
Take a quick look at a few photos of those Va./N.C./Tn. mountains and keep 'em in mind the next time you drive through Newark.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
kwb377
Tourer
Thumbs up

I've ridden it several times...haven't done it on the 'King yet.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 4 yrs ago I took both my boys and my shop foreman.It was a B-Day present for both my boys,since they were born in the same month. At that time it was my youngest 16 B-day and he rode a GXSR 600. We had an awsome time and some fantastic riding. The only thing that made me nervous was the riders over shooting the turn going the other way. I had no issues with our riding abilities, but I can't control the other persons. It's a trip worth taking, just be alert and drive with in your own limitations.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

I've ridden it on my GSXR....kinda wished all the Harley's would get the heck out of the way.......I haven't tried it on my Fatboy...and don't intend to....GSXR it too much fun to waste a run on a bike that isn't built for it.....

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rode it last month, camped at Kickstand. Mo is good people! Had a much hairer ride when I left before daylight in the fog to go home and ran S.R.48 south to franklin. Enough twisties for me for awhile.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
streetglider357
Intermediate

Been there, done that, and got 2 t-shirts, patches, and reflective dragons for the saddlebags.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, did the Dragon twice and really enjoyed it. But..I took my 600 sportbike and not the Street Glide. To me (just my opinion) the excitement of that stretch of road is about rider competency and agility (not to be mistaken as just speed). I like my Harley best of all my bikes, but I like it for what it is...big, bulky and clunky (glad the radio is loud, it drowns out the engine and tranny noises...)and not the best choice of rides for the Dragon. Yes, there are a lot of mishaps there and many blame the crotchrocket guys but looking at the whole picture with a very open mind and also knowing that many cruiser guys bite the dust there too - the problem is often because of the mix of the crowd. Fast riders meeting up with slow timid riders meeting up with trucks and cars that overshoot the curves etc. It's all fun, but like others have said on here, there are much more dangerous places to play...ie: Long Island Expressway..lol.

Quick Reply: Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?