General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
hdcruzer2008
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went down Labour Day weekend (the end of August - start of September long weekend - I don't know what you call it in the US). 13 hours to get there to spend 8 hours on the Dragon and the roads in NC. So I've been there and got the tee shirt (I just ordered some photos today).

Most people were respectable while I was there, slower traffic pulled over and everyone stayed in their lanes - although I was out early on Sunday and a sports bike passed me before I even had a chance to see him in my mirrors - scared the crap out of me. It was amazing to watch the sports bikes - I pulled over just to do some watching and saw one guy blast around a corner and drag an elbow!

I found the the speed limit on the TN side ridiculously low and the cops were far too aggressive. The roads in NC were just as good if not better and the speed limits were very reasonable.

The wife and I plan on making a trip out of it next year but most of our time will be spent on roads in the area and not the Dragon itself.

hdcruzer

Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Did it on a crotch rocket, did it on my Deuce. It was fun, but meh - once you've done it, you've done it. I'd recommend during the week, early in the morning - much less traffic. Also, go in the spring or late fall (after the leaves are off the road). With no foliage, it's easier to do your first time around because you can see what's coming up, and the corners are not blind. It's worth the visit - Ben is a great host at the resort, and there are many other roads to ride while you're there.

Cannon

Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going in about three weeks with my brother and a friend. We also plan on riding the Cherohala Skyway as well as visiting Clingman's Dome. If you have any other ride suggestions they would be appreciated.
Jay

Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

Going during the Rally in the Valley this weekend. I`m guessing its gonna be packed with bikes. Makes me a little ancy. Have a pack of bikes going with us. A friend of mine just got back 2 weeks ago and informed me the speed limit in Tenn. was 30 mph, 31 mph will get a ticket, crossing over the center line Ticket. Sounds a bit crazy to me but maybe 30 mph is fast cause I have never been on the Dragon.. I`ll be the slowest person there probably... Told the wife to carry the baseball bat for the rockets that scare the c**t out of ya... I`ll let ya know how it goes when I get back..

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjh
No, I haven't riden it yet. I want to ride it along with the Blue Ridge Parkway.
One of these days I'll get it done.

mjh

I did the entire "Skyline Drive", "Blue Ridge Parkway"', "Tail of the Dragon"' and "Cherohala Skyway" on my trip,

Fantastic,

Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will ride the dragon someday soon. Actually hope to retire to eastern TN within next year or two. Some of the best riding and scenery in the country.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy 209 from Waynesville NC to Hot Springs NC is a must ride when you're near Maggie Valley. Switchbacks, drops, climbs and meadows make it a great 45 mile ride. The Dragon is a good ride, but the Tenn. Troopers take things too far. Stay out of Tenn.

NC treats you a little better. www.tailofthedragon.com

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
ownasofttail
Road Warrior

Yes been there done that we rode it on a friday and then sat we found better roads around ther to ride also.. Great time

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i live here so i get to ride it sometimes once sometimes 3-4 times a week. other roads to do cherohala skyway, blueridge parkway, devil's triangle (rode it today) type in petros, tn hwy 116. hwy 360 when you make the cherohala/dragon loop. the list is endless.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Moondognyc
Tourer

Absolutely awesome road if done during the week... I thoughtit was one of the best roads for the thrill of it, but there were some pretty killer roads all around the area. The Cherohala was a must do. I took the Skyline drive from Front Royal down into the Blue Ridge, down to Cherokee. Very nice trip... Highly recommended.

Here is a video(crappy quality) I took on the Tail... kinda funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyp69lp_Ag4

Attached Thumbnails Have you slain the Dragon yet?  Will you?-tailkillboy.jpg  

Last edited by Moondognyc; 09-15-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add pic

Quick Reply: Have you slain the Dragon yet? Will you?