General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
turp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather

I have been through a ton of posts about each of the jacket, but I am looking for opinions on the "nylon" vs leather FXRG. I am torn between the two and not sure which to go for...

I tried on the leather and liked it, but they didnt have a nylon one in my size, so I dont know if I will like it once it is on..

Does anyone have experience with both jackets? Which did you prefer?

I completely understand these are expensive, but with a little searching around, the price can get down around most other good quality jackets.

I am looking for protection, cold weather warmth, ability to ride in warmer weather with it if I am going to be doing a long ride and want something more than skin to hit the road!
How is the nylon one for cleaning? (getting dead bugs, etc)

I have been looking for a good jacket for a while, but nothing ever fits right. Most HD jackets are too tight in the arms.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have ther leather FXRG and it's great. It seems to vent better than any jacket I've had
and is WAY warmer when it's cold. I would do leather again.

Mark

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the nylon because I found it very cheap, one of the HD's sidewalk sales. It's very warm, and is not restricting . Supposed to be waterproof, I don't know. I really like the jacket but I can't wear it unless it's pretty cold. Leather is bound to be tougher but I just didn't feel I could afford it. I just bought the pants this weekend for when the colder weather hits. I'm in no hurry to try them out.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
bobo06
Intermediate
Default jackets

Ive got them both. The leather with the liner in is a little warmer than the nylon one with the liner in it. Both seem to vent fine when it is warmer.
The sheer weight of the leather one wears on you after a long day, where as the nylon one is a lot lighter weight. When I wear the nylon jacket , I dont take my raingear, so its one less thing to pack. I wore it in the rain all the way from Raipd City to iowa 2 years ago and was fine with that and my chaps. Of course the lowers on the ulte block a lot of bad weather.

bobo

Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
turp
Intermediate

Bobo,
If you had to do it over again. Which one would you buy? (or buy first if you favor them both)

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

All things being equal, I bought the leather one because leather has 5-10 times the abrasion resistance of textile (Kevlar excluded, I think). That was my first consideration. Everything after that was based on whatever I could find in a leather jacket. And I just got caught on Friday in the most torrential rain I've ever seen, for nearly 40 miles. Gloves are still wet but my torso was dry as a bone through the whole ride. Warmth and wet performance are great.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

If you would dare to go with something other than a hd jacket ,look at Firstgear Transition II. Great jacket that works well from summer with the full liner out and vents open to winter into the 30's with a t-shirt only under it. And half the price of hd .

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a leather wearing rider here, just my shoes and belts. I got the FXRG ballistic nylon jacket for a birthday present 3 years ago and I have to say, it is the best all around jacket I could ask for. I can vouch for the waterproofing having been caught in 2 hr. downpour on more than one occasion and keeping my torso dry. It is warm enough with the liner to ride until early winter, once the temp gets into the lower 30's, it's time to put the bike up for the winter her in NY.

All around, a great jacket and yes, it is made "overseas" but still a quality coat.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

leather all the way around. i dont think anything protests better. and defiantly keeps the cold out. for summer, well i dont know, i wear a t shirt, not much protection but comfortable.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me say first off I ride for fun and enjoyment. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, not a biker, and ride a Sportster. I don't commute on my bike, I avoid rain (not hard to do in So Cal) and don't ride when it's too cold or hot. That said, I like leather when it is cooler, (I have several leather jackets) but I also have an AGV mesh textile jacket, with some smaller armor, for summer. I like it. Airflow with protection.

Quick Reply: FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather