General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
turp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the leather one and like it. While not extreme temps, I left yesterday when it was only 50 degrees out. Was ringing 65 70 on the highway with some pretty decent winds and I was comfortable. Only had a T-shirt underneath and the liner was not installed.

I am keeping my eye out for a nylon one, but will use the leather this winter for as long as I can ride.

I definitely need to get over pants or chaps to ride when it gets too much cooler. Jeans only go so far!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A break in the rain, a SHORT break,

I have on the FXRG Leather Jacket, FXRG Nylon Over pants, Gore-Tex Gauntlet Gloves, Gore-Tex Boots,

The Modular helmet is to allow me to hear the wife and Garmin on my Scala Rider Q2 headset. My hearing is about shot and the full face allows easy hearing ability, plus it works wonders in the rain to keep you dry,

Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Got the leather FXRG and in fact have worn it everyday this week. Mine is 2 years old.

THE ZIPPER SUCKS A$$!!! I will have to get mine replaced, and probably will just take it somewhere and PAY to have a new zipper put in, and something different like a yyk(?)... course I may try to take to my dealer and see if they will exchange jacket as it is two years old and supposed to be a five year warranty, but I don't think I have the receipt.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I have had a nylon jacket for a few years now and it is my favorite jacket, hot or cold.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FXRG leather jacket, pants, and gloves. Fantastic setup. They are pricey but if you buy at one of the 20% off dealers (like Chicago HD) it helps. I recently did a trip where the temperatures ranged from 38 degrees to 85 degrees and was comfortable the whole way. Completely waterproof in my experience. I tried on the fabric gear, but I really like the look and feel of leather better.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 AM
bull
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nylon FXRG. about 4 years old. Riding in torrential hurricane rain this year is the first time I got soaked wearing them. Soaked in crotch area due to non nylon elastic material. Damp all over. Very uncomfortable after that. Washed them and applied waterproofing(scotchgard brand) now no problem. Jacket/pants stayed soaked for days after

Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am totally satisfied with my leather FXRG for the cooler months. Fit and finish of the FXRG is awesome. It provides all the protection and warmth I need riding in NW Louisiana. I have a Tourmaster armored jacket that I wear in warmer months but my favorite is an old Harley denim jacket that has the sleeves cut-off and Underarmor "T's"

Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see it like this wear your leather with armored for cool days and for the cold days put the heated gear under it. And if it gets hot wear a vented jacket with armored. But if it's raining outside use some rain gear over what ever you are wearing that day. I have ran in the rain with leather and have got soo wet by the time I stop. I have rode with rain gear year around and never even got wet under my gear. I use rain gloves, boot covers, rain pants and a rain jacket. If you ride in the weather you need to have the right gear for outside life. But if it's a posing thing wear anything that makes you happy!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Lt James
Tourer

Wife and I both have the textile FXRG jackets and we love them, best jacket I've ever owned (with the exception of a gorgeous Vanson leather from my sport bike days).

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
RoadWolf71
Intermediate

I've been looking for a good leather jacket for awhile now, have eyeballed the FXRG several times, but the price has kept me from pulling the trigger. Now, I need to get something before the temp really starts to drop in the next few weeks.

*sigh
Why does cool $hit have to be so expensive?

Quick Reply: FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather