General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
turp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaning towards the leather one...
I may have to hit up a couple more HD dealers and see if the nylon one is in stock somewhere.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could get a Fox Creek leather jacket and a Tourmaster textile jacket for the price of an HD FXRG leather one.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
turp
Intermediate

A Fox Creek Leather that is in my size is $453 plus shipping. I can get the HD Leather for $480 shipped (or less)

Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Pitts2112
All things being equal, I bought the leather one because leather has 5-10 times the abrasion resistance of textile (Kevlar excluded, I think). That was my first consideration. Everything after that was based on whatever I could find in a leather jacket. And I just got caught on Friday in the most torrential rain I've ever seen, for nearly 40 miles. Gloves are still wet but my torso was dry as a bone through the whole ride. Warmth and wet performance are great.
Great to hear that the leather kept you that dry!

My question is, how wet did the leather itself get? Did the jacket gain more weight due to the leather soaking up the rain?

I know the jacket has a rainproof liner, and the leather is supposed to be rain resistent,

I have the FXRG in leather, but have yet to try it out in the rain for the very questions I have posed.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 PM
propane_peddler
Tourer

My brother has the leather one, my son has the nylon. Both did great on a trip accross Iowa the weekend of all the rain and flooding. We rode thru downpouring rain for 4 hours and they both stayed dry. I too would have a tough time deciding which one to buy.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by turp
A Fox Creek Leather that is in my size is $453 plus shipping. I can get the HD Leather for $480 shipped (or less)
OK, then.

But you actually get more leather for your money. Fox Creek jackets are some seriously thick/strong leather. FXRG jackets are like glove leather in comparison and have lighter-duty zippers, but they do have the armor, though.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

Earlier this summer I was on a CBR1000R wearing my HD Heritage fabric jacket and hit a deer. Skidded for 35 looong paces and got up and walked; the jacket was trashed. No serious injuries or road rash...replaced it with an FXRG fabric jacket. I have a Belstaff Montana leather jacket that I now wear a lot less; mostly due to the weight and lack of armour. Wore the FXRG down to about 40F with the liner; no problem...and it is rain proof.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Great to hear that the leather kept you that dry!

My question is, how wet did the leather itself get? Did the jacket gain more weight due to the leather soaking up the rain?

I know the jacket has a rainproof liner, and the leather is supposed to be rain resistent,

I have the FXRG in leather, but have yet to try it out in the rain for the very questions I have posed.
Well, I was thinking about this, too. The leather, I think, is water proofed as well, or at least water resistant. I didn't notice it get any heavier and I don't think the leather soaked up any water. As an example, 4 days later, my gloves were still soaked, the jacket was dry the next day. And, if you think about it, as long as the water's not getting through, even if the leather is wet, it won't matter.

Now, my chaps and jeans, that's another matter. I was soaked from the waist down...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Have had an FXRG in leather several years now and been caught in torrentials any number of times (it's the norm here) kept me warm and dry (good liner and good venting) but the zipper sucks - already had to replace it and the new ones not much better.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pitts2112
Well, I was thinking about this, too. The leather, I think, is water proofed as well, or at least water resistant. I didn't notice it get any heavier and I don't think the leather soaked up any water. As an example, 4 days later, my gloves were still soaked, the jacket was dry the next day. And, if you think about it, as long as the water's not getting through, even if the leather is wet, it won't matter.

Now, my chaps and jeans, that's another matter. I was soaked from the waist down...
Thanks for the reply,

I read in a bike magazine about leather rain gear soaking up the rain and turning into a sponge, staying wet for days,

Possibly a cheaper jacket, but from all responses, it seems the leather FXRG is all it is advertised to be,

I will no longer pass up my FXRG when rain seems likely,

Quick Reply: FXRG Jackets - Nylon vs Leather